My daughter is 1 and she was congested. So I got her some vapor rub but it was the Walgreens brand. Now she has a rash on her chest , neck and back. Any suggestions on what to use?

Kourtney G.

Asked by Kourtney G. at 11:53 PM on Sep. 24, 2013 in Toddlers (1-2)

• What's wrong with the Walgreens brand? Usually store brand works just as well.

Steam from shower helps. Don't actually put her in the hot shower, but take her in the bathroom and run the water.
    Do you have a humidifier?
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 11:56 PM on Sep. 24, 2013

• I would take her to the ER.

Those products are not for children.
    MoonFox4

Answer by MoonFox4 at 12:01 AM on Sep. 25, 2013

• I would never put that on a baby. It burns my skin, I can't imagine how much it would hurt a baby. I agree with getting her to see a doctor. Next time get the Vicks Vaporizer and put the Vicks smell into the air, not on her skin.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:13 AM on Sep. 25, 2013

• I'm pretty sure it says not to use that on children under 2.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 12:14 AM on Sep. 25, 2013

• Call your pediatrician. Did you call the pediatrician BEFORE you used this product on your baby?
    Adult preparations are not intended for baby use and can be harmful if not deadly when used incorrectly.
    Take her to urgent care.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:56 AM on Sep. 25, 2013

• Here's the thing... vapo rub, decongestants, cough medicines, etc. are not to be used on infants. When a baby has a cold it is best to call the doctor for advice. A cool mist vapirizor, saline solution to assist sucking mucus out of the baby's nose, tylenol for a fever if needed... these are the only things to use for an infant. Your doctor would have told you that.

For the rash, take the baby to the doctor. You cannot ask strangers on the internet these things. You may not always get the best advice.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 1:54 AM on Sep. 25, 2013

• What does her doctor say?????????
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 6:00 AM on Sep. 25, 2013

• Sounds like an allergic reaction. You should follow up with the pediatrician. While you are there ask for his/her advice on the cold. Normally it's use a cool mist humidifier or a vaporizer for a few days to break it up.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:07 AM on Sep. 25, 2013

• I agree you should take her to see her doctor. The rash could be allergic reaction.
    babyant13

Answer by babyant13 at 10:10 AM on Sep. 26, 2013