Ultrasound show wrong measurements?

I'm 32 weeks and had am ultrasound that showed my baby's head measured smaller than it did when I had an ultrasound a week ago! My Dr said that the tech had to have not got a good measurement BC of the way the baby's head is tilted or something BC it shouldn't shrink! Which makes since but I'm still worrying sick!

I'm getting another ultrasound in 2 weeks but that's a long time :/

I had heavy bleeding last sunday and was in the hospital for 5 days. They did 3 or 4 ultrasounds and never mentioned the measurements being off. But I worry that the bleeding may have affected it :( if u pray, pray for my baby girl and me! Please and thank u!

EheartsZ07

Asked by EheartsZ07 at 2:57 AM on Sep. 25, 2013 in Pregnancy

• Your doc was right. Ultrasounds are not precise measurements. The images are calculated from sound waves and any change in position of the baby can change the measurement/weight fairly radically. Besides this, a baby's head cannot shrink :) especially not in a week!

Please don't worry about this. It really is perfectly normal. I have no advice about the bleeding. What did the doctors/nurses tell you was the cause?
    goldpandora

Answer by goldpandora at 4:19 AM on Sep. 25, 2013

• Ultrasounds are not exact.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 10:41 AM on Sep. 25, 2013

• Ultrasounds are like your due date: They're BEST GUESSES. Ultrasound Techs aren't doctors, they're just trained to read all that grainy crap on the screen. Good thing too, because all that grainy crap makes NO sense to me until the tech shows me what I'm looking at.

Take some deep breaths. Unless there's a witchdoctor in your uterus, your baby's head has not gotten smaller. Take some more deep, calming breaths. Y'all are going to be a-ok.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:20 AM on Sep. 25, 2013

• Thanks everyone. And about the bleeding, they need figured out the cause. They just assume placental abruption and it healed itself but they never seen it on the ultrasound. So I'm just waiting it out and hoping I don't bleed again or go into preterm labor! Now I'm hoping it hasn't affected my baby and she is healthy!
    EheartsZ07

Comment by EheartsZ07 (original poster) at 11:29 AM on Sep. 25, 2013

• I wish you the best. Please try not to fret, because that won't help you or your baby at al.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:21 PM on Sep. 25, 2013

• I actually just talked to my Dr and she said last week her head was measuring right on the dot and this time it measured 29 1/2 weeks and I'm 32 weeks. So she thinks her head was so far in my pelvis and the way it is tilted they couldn't get correct measurements.
    EheartsZ07

Comment by EheartsZ07 (original poster) at 3:22 PM on Sep. 25, 2013

• Do not freak out! Breathe... Ultrasounds are not exact, and unless you are at a high risk ultrasound appointment, they are just measuring the best they can and moving on. Can you request a high risk one? My DD is 4 and has a duplicate ureter (tube connecting the kidney to the bladder) and it is causing her problems. S with my DS, they sent me to a high risk appt, and it took about an hour, because they get very detailed measurements. DS is fine. The was a HUGE difference in the two ultrasound techs and appts.
    And it might help you to know that a week before my DD was born they said she would weight about 6 pounds. She was 7lbs 10 ounces. Same for DS. So if they can be that off with weight, im sure your little girls head is ok :)
    Praying for you!!
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 11:32 PM on Sep. 28, 2013