Dirty Dancing Ban

Brunswick high school principal Michael Mayell says the dance style, also known as grinding, is nothing more than simulated sex and has no place at a school.

http://www.fox8.com/wjw-dirty-dancing-shea-0218txt,0,1296872.story

Do you agree with the principal or do you think the students should boycott?

Christine0813

Asked by Christine0813 at 10:27 AM on Feb. 19, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Whatever happened to having a bunch of parents chaperone the dances? Kid X sees a parent there and realizes, "OMG! That's Joe's mom, she plays tennis with my mom! She'll tell my mom if she sees me doing (whatever)." Prevention is far more effective than cure.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:15 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I absolutely agree with the school. When my son was in HS they banned "freaking" which is basically dry humping one another on the dance floor. It is inappropriate. Our teens are already hypersexed. They do NOT need more.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 10:32 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I agree with the ban. Why do so many parents allow their teens to listen to vulgar music and dance in a way that is not much different than having sex. Those are probably the same parents who are shocked when little Tiffany comes home pregnannt.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I agree!! I don't think student should boycott it! What kind of dance is it when all your doing is basically dry humping each other? Woooohooooo look at me mom and dad I know how to hump at 13!! Weeeeeeeeeee! Ewwwww! I agree with all the posts above me so far. Thats all it is is showing extreme sexual tendancies at a very young age! Way to go principal Michael Mayell! Where do I send my props?
    Pffft

Answer by Pffft at 10:41 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I agree with it too.There really is no reason for it imo.Shouldn't we not set some boundaries for our youth at all?
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 10:43 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I think it's sad that with all the things going on in the world, all these kids can come up with to boycott and protest and make their voices heard is not being allowed to bump and grind for the 20 minutes they'll spend at a dance before they sneak out.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:51 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I agree with above posters. I myself have done a little freaky dancing but that was in the club, where everyone was adults. This kind of dancing has no place in schools and I would have been embarrassed to even try it at one of my dances!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:57 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Parents and middle-aged beaurocrats and petty tyrants have been trying to control how kids dance ever since "Elvis the Pelvis" first appeared. Even before that, way back in the 1800's people considered the waltz to be vulgar and immoral! I think that they should just announce that students crossing the line will be removed from the dance, and enforce it. Anytime you set up a ban, there are some kids that will get right up to the line, and then will cross over when no adults are looking, just to show they can. Why give them something to crow about the next day? It's all about picking your fight. No one is being victimized here, no one is being hurt. The kids who participate are not being forced to, and the other kids have at least seen as much or worse on TV. As for them "getting ideas" they already KNOW about these ideas, they are in high school, not kindergarden.

pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 11:01 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Ok sorry but what would be considered crossing the line if they are dry humping? stripping down and actually doing it? lol....not being a smart ass but really
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 11:04 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I been working so hard
    Keep punching my card
    Eight hours, for what?
    Oh, tell me what I got
    I get this feeling
    That time's just holding me down
    I'll hit the ceiling
    Or else I'll tear up this town
    Tonight I gotta cut
    Loose, footloose
    Kick off your Sunday shoes
    Please, Louise
    Pull me offa my knees
    Jack, get back
    C'mon before we crack
    Lose your blues
    Everybody cut footloose
    You're playing so cool
    Obeying every rule
    Dig way down in your heart
    You're yearning, burning for some
    Somebody to tell you
    That life ain't passing you by
    I'm trying to tell you
    It will if you don't even try
    You can fly if you'd only cut
    Loose, footloose
    Kick off your Sunday shoes
    Oowhee, Marie
    Shake it, shake it for me
    Whoa, Milo
    C'mon, c'mon let go
    Lose your blues
    Everybody cut footloose
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 11:05 AM on Feb. 19, 2009