Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you feel the bank should refund my fees?

The IRS direct deposited my income tax check on 2-17 today I recieved and e-mail saying my account was overdrawn when I asked why they said the put a 5 day hold on my income tax check and it wouldnt be available until the 2-22. Meanwhile they wouldn't give me a balance over the phone and shut off my MAC card w/o notice because "Visa had a security breech and we thought better safe than sorry." My question is since I could not find out everytime I called how much money I had and I couldn't get into my online banking I feel I shouldn't have to pay the 2 over draft fees which are $35 a peice. My bf saying I'm just making a mountian out of a molehill and to let it go.


Asked by emtmommyamanda at 10:27 AM on Feb. 19, 2009 in Money & Work

Level 1 (0 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (6)
  • My sons had bank charges for overdrafting wich I feel they could have managed better. I did go with them to the bank and was able to remove 1/2 of the charges. I understand that most banks will at least reduce by 1/2, the bank fees if it is your first time. I do think, however, that your case is different. A bank check is different than a regular paycheck or personal check..Because it was a "government" issued check, they shouldn't have put the 5 day risk factor hold on it. It is garaunteed.
    Tell them to remove all fees or you'll stop banking with them all together.

    Answer by dblshotexpresso at 2:35 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

  • Usually they put a hold on money. If you have never bounced before call them and talk to them and they will usually let the fees go. worth a shot.


    Answer by Anonymous at 10:29 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

  • I am sorry to say that the bank is in the right. I never spend money unless I know I defintely have it. Banks can put up to a 10 day hold on some things. Sorry!

    Answer by kboney29 at 10:30 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

  • i havent been there to talk to them but they wouldnt give me the information to tell me wiether or not it was there i only had what the irs told me and when i asked them all they could say was you currently have a positive balance so i assumed it was there

    Answer by emtmommyamanda at 10:34 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

  • Where I worked we usually offered a one time curtosy refund of fees...I think everyone deserves one chance...and we usually refunded whether it was the member's error or our's.

    Answer by Carli26 at 10:55 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

  • You need to go down to the branch in person, without children, to sit in the office and talk to them.


    Answer by Wimsey at 11:03 AM on Feb. 19, 2009