Book protested because it contains: 67 Gods, 24 Jesuses and 4 Christs

A handful of parents protested an author's speaking engagement for her book with an anti-bullying message.  Their complaint was language based - specifically, they have issue with the bullies in the book using the same language the bullies in their schools use when addressing their children.  Added bonus, this is in a MN school district that had such a huge problem with turning a blind eye to bullying last year, it led to a federal civil rights investigation.  Of course, one board member was so outraged that the district agreed to a settlement which involved an anti-bullying program, they resigned, so it stands to reason that a portion of the community will insist on sweeping the entire issue under the rug.

Other components of the book include an abused, impoverished teen pro-actively seeking help to get out of the situation, two teens making the informed decision to NOT have sex, and teens standing up to bullies, which to the Parents Action League equates to dirty nasty things you shouldn't mention in front of teenagers.  They are demanding all 70 copies of the book be removed from the school and library system.

Convenient that they do this during Banned Book Week, over an award winning book that has waitlists in libraries all over the country.

Everyone has the right to screen what their own child or teenager reads.  Is there any circumstance where parents should be allowed to insist that books be removed from circulation completely, so other kids can't talk to their kids about them?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 9:13 AM on Sep. 25, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• Wow. I don't even know what to say
    I do not understand some people.
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:38 AM on Sep. 25, 2013

• As a writer, I'm completely against censorship. If I don't want to read something - I don't read it. If I don't want to watch something, I change the channel. If I don't like the song on the radio, I change the station and don't buy the CD. And you can ask my kids - I've told them 'no' numerous times over the last few days because they want to watch a show (that I watch) and I know it's not appropriate for them to watch. And I do that with books and music too. But my desire to not read/watch/listen to something or not let my kids read/watch/listen to something doesn't mean I get to decide that no one else gets to read/watch/listen to it either. You're fully capable of deciding that for yourself, or your kids. And just because you don't want to read/watch/listen doesn't mean I or my kids can't. People need to just take responsibility for themselves and not try to control everyone else.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 9:42 AM on Sep. 25, 2013

• They don't need a book to talk about some of the disgusting things that happen in life. I willing to bet these parents' "sweet" children have already been somewhat exposed to the horrors of the real world.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 9:55 AM on Sep. 25, 2013

• I will never understand some parents.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 10:57 AM on Sep. 25, 2013

• So they'd rather pretend the issues don't exist and wait till their kids are bullied, abused, or sexually active, and then they'll probably blame God for their troubles. Or maybe they'll blame the devil. Some people really need to pull their heads out of their asses and get a deep breath of fresh air.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:42 AM on Sep. 25, 2013

• Oh, and no, parents shouldn't get to have books removed from circulation. Does freedom of speech ring a bell? Freedom of the press? Hitler's book burnings? If the parents don't want their kids reading a particular book, that should be handled in their family,personally. Who are they to say what their neighbors' kids read?
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:45 AM on Sep. 25, 2013

• To address your question I do not believe that anyone has any right to ban any books for any reason. Ever. This is something I feel strongly about. The state (or a group of protesters) should never have the authority to decide what I or my children read, watch etc.

My blame here lies squarely on the shoulders of the school who allows a small group of vocal protesters to step all over the rights of the district as a whole. The library system should be held equally responsible. Of course, we're talking about a district that saw no relation between their complete dismissal of bullying and the spike in suicides of gay students because of it.

I wish it was shocking but it's not. It's mostly just infuriating.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 11:51 AM on Sep. 25, 2013

• is this the same school district that passed a no-bullying school law that allows kids to bully homosexuals if its religious in nature so the bullies arent denied their free speech?

this is beyond stupid, but it seems whenever you mix religion, homosexuality, and bullies together you get stupid ppl flocking to stand up for the bullies. i also find it sadly humorous that the ppl who are always yelling about this kinda stuff are the first to call others "Hitler" when they dont do things their way.

if they dont want the books i hope they send them to the schools on the waiting list instead of destroying them.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:44 PM on Sep. 25, 2013

• Did you read this in today's Omaha World Herald?  

If anyone NEEDS to read this book, it's the asshats who canceled the author's appearances.  (and who are trying to remove her book from the shelves!)  

MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 6:08 PM on Sep. 25, 2013

• I don't think that any parent should be able to insist but if they do have a problem with a certain book they should be able to bring it to someones attention. When they do they should be prepared with why they think a certain book shouldn't be in the library and then accept whatever the final say so was.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 4:09 PM on Sep. 26, 2013