Piercing a babies ears

I have always felt that a girl should decide on her own if her ears should be pierced when she’s old enough to say, hey I want my ears pierced you know. The idea of putting a permanent hole in her ears without her consent just seems a little wrong. But a lot of people i know do it when they are babies. And that is totally up to them. My 3 year old girl has taken notice of ear rings and said she wants them too. But I still think I should wait until she knows what she’s getting into. I'm not saying that its a huge deal or anything but I want to know peoples thoughts. For or against baby eat piercing?

candace71306

Asked by candace71306 at 10:31 AM on Feb. 19, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I would wait until they are old enough to ask. First, you are not doing any modification to their body that they may not want, Second, you are not putting an infant through pain. Third, they will be old enough to care for it themselves. Fourth, they get the experience of that special day when they get to pick out earrings and feel like a big girl.
    TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 12:40 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I waited until my daughter was old enough to take care of them properly before I would let her get them pierced. She was around 10 when I let her.
    Freightgal

Answer by Freightgal at 10:32 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• JMO, I think they should wait until they can take of their ears themselves. I think when girls are in their teens they know what they are getting into and can take care of the ears themselves.
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 10:33 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I pierced my daughters ears at 9 months. I see nothing wrong with it. My family is Italian and the girls all get their ears pierced. I also see nothing wrong with waiting until they decide for themselves.
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 10:47 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I had mine done at 18 mos. My SO and I discussed it and we have decided to wait until she is 13 and can make the decision herself. I don't want her to have something that she doesn't want. I can't even wear earrings b/c my holes get infected every time. I have bought the real gold, plastic posts, and allergy type earrings and none of them are even an option. So I will let her decide when she is ready.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:52 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• All the girls in my family, including myself, got their ears pierced when they were babies. If they decide they don't like it when they get older, they can just let the holes close or not wear earrings. If I had girls, I would have gotten their ears pierced but I have all boys.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:54 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I had to wait until I was 16 and I was so scared my pediatrician did it! Yes, I am a wuss.

(Seriously, that's how you spell wuss? Who knew?)

Anyway, DH and I are not waiting that long but DD will be about 10 or so I'm sure.

Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 11:02 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• My parents got mine done when I was 6wks I guess i looked like a boy...LOL!
    Ms.MarineWife

Answer by Ms.MarineWife at 12:23 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I waited for my girl to ask for it. She was in first grade when we pierced her ears. A few weeks later, she decided she hated them, and we took them out. woo.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 12:24 PM on Feb. 19, 2009