What to include...

Ms. L, Mr.T and Mr. R.

Ms. L wrote and email to Mr. R about my DD's education. Mr. R was supposed to put the email and attachment in DD's cumulative folder and follow up with the information.

Mr. R claims he never received the email.

Mr. T, when I asked about the results of the email, basically called me a liar and said there was no email because there was nothing to email. Even went so far as to, literally, toss the folder at me and tell me to look for myself.
(Mr. T's job is to coordinate between myself, Mr. R and Ms. L)

Finally got Mr. R to get Ms. L on the phone and conference with myself and Mr. T.

Ms. L, luckily, still had the information, gave Mr. T and Mr. R a dressing down and now, we are all on the same page.

I want to write Ms. L a thank you note for all of her assistance.

Would you include some info about how Mr. T was a total douche?
(He was so unprofessional I want his head on a stake)
or
Keep it simple and praise her without going into detail?

This is the short version. If needed, I am happy to provide more detail.

feralxat

Asked by feralxat at 11:18 AM on Sep. 25, 2013 in Relationships

• I'd limit the letter to praising Ms. L. Something like, "Thank you so much for all your assistance. I realize how inconvenient it was for you to have to get involved and if Mr. T and Mr. R had been able to resolve it, I wouldn't have involved you, but I appreciate how gracefully and quickly you responded to the situation."

I would then write a separate letter to whoever is in charge of Mr. T (even if that's Ms. L) to describe his unprofessionalism, his attitude and the fact that you feel the way he dealt with the situation was completely inappropriate and needs to be dealt with - and if the letter goes to Ms. L, then I'd deliver it in person and explain that you realize she has dealt with it, but you'd like it put in his file or something so that in future, it will always be in his record for future reference, if this kind of thing should arise again.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 1:09 PM on Sep. 25, 2013

• I would praise her and thank her for her help in the face of Mr. T's unprofessionalism. Try to stick to just the facts when you relate to her what Mr. T did and said.

It's hard. I'd be spitting nails in a situation like this too.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:37 AM on Sep. 25, 2013

• I would keep the complaint separate from the thank-you. It sounds to me like Ms. L. helped you fix a bad situation; she already knows that the two men were uncooperative. If you want to elaborate on their douche-baggery because she should know, then do it in a different note, and let your thank-you be positive. Good luck.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:07 PM on Sep. 25, 2013

• Is Ms. L, Mr. T's boss or supervisor? Does she need to know about how he acted or what he did?
    In the long run the question is what will it gain you
    Thank her definitely.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 4:02 PM on Sep. 25, 2013

• Ms. L is from the middle school. Mr. R and Mr. T are from the high school.
    While Ms. L doesn't know the school policy she does know the district policy and it wasn't followed.

The missing email and information therein didn't just affect DD, there is another student lost in the system.
    There wouldn't be a gain from telling her how difficult Mr. T was. It would just reinforce the level of gratitude.
    feralxat

Comment by feralxat (original poster) at 12:05 PM on Sep. 26, 2013