What do you do to cope when things have you completely stressed out?!

Didn't know what category to put this in. But anyway, I can't seem to get my mind off that spinning wheel of what's wrong with things. I'm mainly stressed out about money. Hubby & I both work, but with everything going up but our wages, it gets overwhelming at times. I sometimes feel like I'm failing my children, & my family b/c I can't seem to fix this.

The only way to move up in my job is to go back to school & that's not an option right now. Hubby has been at the same place for over 20 yrs., so he's not going anywhere either. Life just shouldn't be this hard. Just getting by shouldn't be a way of life.

I'm just so frustrated. What do you do to get yourself out of this kind of rut? To make yourself not stress out when your best isn't good enough any more? :(

mrsmom110

Asked by mrsmom110 at 11:30 AM on Sep. 25, 2013 in Health

• I meditate or exercise but here's the deal: handling a situation like this sometimes takes a drastic approach. Can you get a new job? Can dh get a new job in a place where he'd make more? Go over your expenses again and cut out cable, call the credit card company and ask if they'll lower your rate, freeze meals and look again at how you shop. What about refinancing the house or even the car?
    You guys are trying, which makes you good parents so you aren't failing. But revisiting expenses might make you feel better. Ultimately, I would say if you are in a city, you should both keep your eyes open for jobs elsewhere because you just never know...
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 6:30 PM on Sep. 25, 2013

• I remember the old saying, "Count your blessings." You both have jobs, there are lots of people right now who don't. You aren't failing your kids. Sometimes not having the latest gadgets and fashions is good for kids. It's builds character. I agree with thinking outside the box. You have to have a little wiggle room in the budget to be realistic. Can you cut the budget back and still have wiggle room? If you can't change anything, it does no good to worry. Alone time with DH helps me cope. If he is getting on my nerves, getting out of the house helps, even if I'm just going to the school to pick up the kids or to the grocery store. I've cut back our grocery bill and so my focus is cooking from scratch, including dessert. A new focus can provide a necessary distraction from worry.
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 12:42 PM on Sep. 25, 2013

• If I get too stressed or overwhelmed I nap. It's like a brain re-boot for me. When I get up I can thinks straight, and make decisions.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:05 PM on Sep. 25, 2013

• I eat. Seriously.
    Find what you can cut back on. I know that's hard sometimes especially when you probably have already tried to cut back a lot to save $$$. I have had to refocus on what's really important. Your kids need you more than things.
    CaliBlondeGirl

Answer by CaliBlondeGirl at 11:33 AM on Sep. 25, 2013

• I know exactly how you feel. Sometimes even minor things are compounded when I get upset over something. Basically, I get out the vacuum & the cleaner & rags & clean the carp out of the house. It clears my mind. Then I try to get to sleep as early as I can since I am more adjusted with rest. Remember most people live like this & worse these days. Things don't look like they are getting better any time soon. So we have to hunker down. Prepare for the worst & hope for the best. Also I thank my lucky stars for what I have & that we are all healthy. Sometimes we need a better perspective. I hope you are feeling better soon :)
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 11:37 AM on Sep. 25, 2013

• I work out. I try to think of ways to improve my situation. If not by making me more marketable, then by finding ways to reduce my liabilities. I know for a lot of people that only goes so far, since there is only so much you can reasonably cut out of your life.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:58 AM on Sep. 25, 2013

• Think outside the box. See if you can find ways to market your skills in a more lucrative environment. Take a few online classes to bump up your skill set. Volunteer to learn new things. Involve your kids in money saving challenges. Change your cooking/eating habits.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 12:10 PM on Sep. 25, 2013

• No way to "get out of it" really. I'm in the same situation almost every day. Some days are worse than others. But I just keep doing what I'm doing. On days that feel worse I might go to bed earlier or just break down and cry but I haven't really discovered anything that really solves it all.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 12:28 PM on Sep. 25, 2013

• Point I'm trying to make is, you can't just give up. You can't settle. You have to make yourself a better person every day for yourself, your DH, and most of all, to set a prime example for your children. You'll be a prime example one way or another... you'll be the example of what to do, or the example of what not to do.

I would rather my kids look back at the struggles I had and sacrifices I made and attribute that to my situation as opposed to them look back at how miserable I was and have to learn it all for themselves - how to move up in the world.

You have to get excited about what you're doing. Just get excited, and do it. Worst case, they'll just tell you no. Then you can try somewhere else.

We packed everything we had into a uhaul and moved from MT to KS on $370. It can be done, sister. If you need someone to talk to, PM me! : ) Best of luck!!!
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 1:15 PM on Sep. 25, 2013

• I do not let it bother me. I am not going to work more to earn more so I give spend more and than at the end of it all, really have nothing.

We are only given this life once, enjoy it especially with family.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 6:28 PM on Sep. 25, 2013