my 17 month is not talking or social

alex996

Asked by alex996 at 12:40 PM on Sep. 25, 2013 in Special Needs

• I can see where they get it from.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 12:48 PM on Sep. 25, 2013

• What does the Dr. say?
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:50 PM on Sep. 25, 2013

• Seventeen months is pretty young for talking anyway, and toddlers tend to pass each other like ships in the night.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:56 PM on Sep. 25, 2013

• Maybe try speed dating?
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:08 PM on Sep. 25, 2013

• How much do you talk to him? My mother worked in a nursery school and there was one child who was 3 when he arrived and never spoke. Turned out that it had never occurred to his mother to just chat to him ... Within a couple of months he was talking like all the other kids of his age
    goldpandora

Answer by goldpandora at 1:22 PM on Sep. 25, 2013

• You can google early intervention and your area. They will do a free developmental evaluation and if there are any delays will offer free or very low cost therapy. If you think there is a problem it's best to get it checked out as early as possible before they get too far behind!

Answer by missanc at 2:56 PM on Sep. 25, 2013

• Take him to a developmental pediatrician for an evaluation
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:33 PM on Sep. 25, 2013

• well I have a son with special needs and I found out this was so.. around 18 months. my baby boy was not talking and it was really bothering me. beings though I was around other kids and they were at least mimicking sounds, words, noise etc. anyway....he would not call me mommy only da da so I called a clinic that specialized in infants and toddlers developmental milestones and for certain he needed help(therapy n such..) he Is 4 years old now with diagnosis of developmental delay and speech and language delay... my whole point is DONT DELAY BECAUSE YOU THINK ITS TO EARLY!! IF YOU FEEL THERES A PROBLEM WITH YOUR CHILD ADDRESS IT! THE EARLYIER THE BETTER !!! TRUST cause all that he/she still got time.... to learn those things... yeah yeah ..yea!! the early the better...call your local infant and toddler agency or health department centers!!
    shawnita88

Answer by shawnita88 at 8:01 PM on Oct. 1, 2013