Am i suppose to remove the cover at some point?

so im rising dough, something that ive never actually done before. i can hear the aluminum foil (i sprayed it with cooking spray first so it wont stick) crackling every now and then as the dough continues to rise in the loaf pan. should i take the foil off or would that make the dough fall flat? if it helps i'm going to use it in about 45 minutes

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 3:47 PM on Sep. 25, 2013 in Food & Drink

• Just leave it on it's not hurting anything. It just keeping the edges form drying out!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:49 PM on Sep. 25, 2013

• Take it off. How long has it been rising?
    Did the directions tell you to cover it with foil?

I bake a lot of bread so answer and I will try to help.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 3:55 PM on Sep. 25, 2013

• It's aliiiiiive!
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 4:00 PM on Sep. 25, 2013

• it said to cover with wax paper but i didn't have any, and it's been rising since about 10 this morning lol
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 4:00 PM on Sep. 25, 2013

• Do you have plastic wrap? That's what I always cover my dough with when it's rising. It doesn't need to be removed til you have to either punch it down, or bake - depending on the instructions.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 4:05 PM on Sep. 25, 2013

• I have never heard of covering it with foil, I have always covered it with a clean cloth and I never took it off until I used it.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 4:06 PM on Sep. 25, 2013

• That is a long time, unless it is sour dough.
    Is the foils loosely on top or is it covered tighter?
    Generally when making bread I use a sack cloth towel and spritz it with a little water. I don't use foil or waxed paper because I do not like the results.
    As long as it is loose the bread can rise but after a while you will get bread that has just risen too much. It will ether have large air pockets or it will fall. Either way the longer it rises the stronger the flavor (sour)

It should double in bulk from its first made size and no more. so if it has done that I would pop it into the oven.
    You may wish to lightly brush with a bit of melted butter.
    good luck and tell us what kind and how it turned out.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 4:11 PM on Sep. 25, 2013

• I've never risen dough with anything over it but a cloth over the pan. Bread typically rises an our or so for each rise (before punch and after)
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 4:45 PM on Sep. 25, 2013

• I've always used Saran wrap and a towel over it.
    PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 4:46 PM on Sep. 25, 2013

• No metal is supposed to be used with dough. No spoons no foil no steel bowls etc
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 7:09 PM on Sep. 25, 2013