Is it normal for my one year old daughter to be able to lifted 10pound weight

Lovemybaby20489

Asked by Lovemybaby20489 at 4:47 PM on Sep. 25, 2013 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think it is normal. My son who is almost 2 will find my 10 pund weight and pick it up. I just get afraid that he will drop it on himself and hurt his foot or loose balance when holding it, so I try to hide it. My son is 30 pounds and is a bit tall for his age as wel.
    sselbst

Answer by sselbst at 4:50 PM on Sep. 25, 2013

• That would be like me lifting a 50lb weight. Doesn't sound normal to me, aside from that she could severely injure herself. Please put your weights out of reach.
    MoonFox4

Answer by MoonFox4 at 4:59 PM on Sep. 25, 2013

• Thank you for your answers
    Lovemybaby20489

Comment by Lovemybaby20489 (original poster) at 5:02 PM on Sep. 25, 2013

• Never had that happen, so I can't say. But I can tell you that when my dau was about that age, she got into our pantry & dropped a can of Chunky soup on her foot. That hurt her foot a lot, so I can't imagine what a 10lb weight would do. I agree with MoonFox4- keep the weights out of reach.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 5:06 PM on Sep. 25, 2013

• She sounds like she's pretty strong for her age. But she probably doesn't have the balance and coordination to handle the weight safely, and I'd be worried that she might strain a muscle or something while lifting it.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:18 PM on Sep. 25, 2013

• I know that they lift toys and some of them are fairly large and probably weigh over a pound. They don't usually do it well but they want to do things like big people and imitate. Yes, I would say it is normal. If it is like a 1 pound hand weight I would put that out of reach. That is a small and concentrated weight and it might end up hurting her.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 5:30 PM on Sep. 25, 2013

• When my son was 2,and 25 lbs,he was able to lift a 20 lb container of cat litter

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:35 PM on Sep. 25, 2013