Laid Off. Would you still be working hard up until it's time to leave?

We had a huge meeting last tuesday in which none of us had no clue what it was about. I had an incline because the CEO and COO were included on the email and were going to be in the meeting
Now the CEO told all of us that they will be closing our building and 140 people will be out of a job by November 15th.
Now here is my question. Would you still come in to work and do the same amount of work that you did prior to being told about being laid off?
Honestly many of us have cut back a lot. But others are still producing the same if not more work. They told us they will be using an office in India.basically outsoucing 140 jobs. Why should we care about the work at this point? Yes we need the money but I refuse to work hard.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:19 PM on Sep. 25, 2013 in Money & Work

• Probably not
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 7:22 PM on Sep. 25, 2013

• I wouldn't be busting my ass. If I had any vacation days or sick leave I would be taking them. hope you are looking for another job? Or are you going on unemployment?

Answer by louise2 at 7:23 PM on Sep. 25, 2013

• Considering I'd still want a referral when it came time for a new job, probably so.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 7:23 PM on Sep. 25, 2013

• I'd focus my efforts on finding a new job!
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 7:24 PM on Sep. 25, 2013

• Yeah that is what most of us are doing, looking online for jobs
    If I cant find anything I will have to collect unemployment until I find something. I am only a temp employee but it's really sad that they are sending out jobs to India. There are people that have been her for 15 and 20 years. Corporate America sucks. We are nothing but a number to them SMH
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:41 PM on Sep. 25, 2013

• I would keep working at the same pace I was working. Why work harder knowing there is no job come Novembe 15th, if it will be till than cause some companies have been known to make the announcement than people show up for work one day and the doors are locked.

It is good they told everyone ahead of time. It will give people time to look and hopefully find other jobs as well as change their spending habits so they will have something with unemployment until something better comes thru.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 8:22 PM on Sep. 25, 2013

• Never been laid off where people weren't gone that day.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:38 AM on Sep. 26, 2013

• If they are paying my wages until the job was over, I would give them exactly what I had all along. They are entitled to it. I do have to say that I have no respect for these companies that are outsourcing jobs, but, I would do what I was being paid to do.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 7:26 AM on Sep. 26, 2013

• I wouldn't work harder, but yes, I would keep working just as hard as before. You can't get a good recommendation if you don't earn it.

However, I did have one job that I got laid off from, and we knew a month ahead of time that we would be gone. I had no real work to do in that month, as most of my functions became pointless. I was the receptionist/switchboard operator, and the only thing left for me to do was answer the phones, which were ringing less and less. So yeah, I sat around and read, played online, etc., but I had nothing else to do - and my boss, and her boss above her and the boss above THAT all told me to just "do whatever you want, but look busy if someone comes in." So I did. lol
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 1:02 PM on Sep. 26, 2013

• I'd do what I had to do in order to be entitled to unemployment benefits.
    Then, while on unemployment I'd work on the side starting my own business. And, yes you can.
    romanceparty4u

Answer by romanceparty4u at 12:16 AM on Oct. 2, 2013