What is the longest it has taken you to house train a pup?

candace71306

Asked by candace71306 at 10:33 AM on Feb. 19, 2009 in Pets

• 8 months for my little turdhead Chloe! Which in our family is unheard of. She would get out of her crate and poo and pee on/in my shoes!!! she was paper trained and would go anywhere that wasn't the actual floor... i'll never get another one that was paper trained!!!!

heeler/corgi cross: 4 days, was 10 weeks when we got her.

aussie/border collie cross: about 4 weeks. she kept discreetly peeing down the a/c vent on the floor... took us forever to find out! Imagine when we started up the heater!!! We had to have the H/A guy come out and redo the conduit to that vent!
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 2:23 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• To be completely house trained, like no accidents, my scottie took about a year. She was mostly trained for awhile but didn't get it all together until about a year.
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 10:34 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• All my puppies have been trained quickly, by about 4 months old. Of course I am very diligent and take them out often and use a crate when I can't be watching them. I set them up for success and it goes very smoothly.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 10:35 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I've had 2 golden retrievers and am on my 3rd. They all potty trained lickety split so its hard to give a timeline.
    JanMarie225

Answer by JanMarie225 at 10:38 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• 3 weeks.. granted i was home almost every day with her and for the first week, we took her out... but weeks 2-3 she knew where the door to outside was so she would run over to it... we also bell trained her.. sometimes you couldnt quite hear her little bark.. so she would jingle the bell.. she died a few years ago.. but was the best darn dog ever.. Sammy... i think i have a picture of her in my album someplace.. persistance is the key... dont get mad if there is an accident.. she finally got it.. but luckily for us, it was in the middle of summer... kinda hard to teach a dog to go potty outside when there is a foot of snow on the ground and freezing..but its possible
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 11:05 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• All of my dogs are crated at night and when we are not home. I feel this has helped greatly when training them. My Shih Tzu was 5 mos old when 100% housebroke and accident free. My Basset was 4 months when housebroken and accident free. I like with my mom and she has a Lab puppy, she stopped going potty in the house when she was only 9wks old. At 7 wks she started jumping at the door when she had to go out. I don't consider her 100% housebroken yet, every once in a great while she may have an accident if we don't let her out in time. She's 4 months old, and has only ever gone to the bathroom in the house 5 times at the most. Once my dogs are 100% housebroken then they are no longer required to kenneled.

bookay

Answer by bookay at 12:04 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• It took five weeks to fully housebreak my german shepherd puppy. She was 8 weeks old when we got her and started housebreaking her. We crate trained her. Now she's only in her crate when we're not home. Otherwise, she's free to roam the house. She's now 7 months old.
    Littlebit722

Answer by Littlebit722 at 12:25 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• i got my pup when she was 7 wks...she didnt fully get it in her head till about 4 months old.
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 10:41 PM on Feb. 19, 2009