Update on PTO prayer....what are your thoughts about this?

Last time I posed a question about prayer being said during the PTO meeting. Or just before it got down to business. Last week we had a letter come home stating a administrator went to China and visited with the poor, providing teaching instruction, for the summer. The letter asked parents to date money to assist in sponsoring a village to support their educational needs. I personally have no issue with helping out our global community but I was a little taken back by the "missions trip" propaganda. I guess my thought is you don't need Jesus to sell me on providing safe housing, food and education is a good thing. Why bring the church into it at a public school. So given the PTO prayer and requesting $25 now or pay a few dollars each month - what would you do? It's honestly a turn off using God to sell good deeds or Jesus to inspire a successful meeting. I am seriously considering not donating. Simply because of how it is marketed. I can donate anywhere and I do quite a bit. I just don't feel the need to do it in the name of my God. I do it because it's just kind to do so.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:49 PM on Sep. 25, 2013 in Religious Debate

• I say follow your heart. Donate how you are comfortable.... There are always amillion good causes
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 9:37 PM on Sep. 25, 2013

• Do what you want to do. Perhaps it was information on how this community was chosen. This person went personally to them. I was a mission trip. Information. IMO. Nothing more or less.

It would be the same if someone's brother was doing peace corps work in XYZ village.
    I agree, donate if you want and don't if you don't.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 10:25 PM on Sep. 25, 2013

• Did the letter state anything about religious reasons behind the trip?
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 11:13 PM on Sep. 25, 2013

• I would probably donate anyway because someone has actually seen where the money will go and vouched for the validity of the need and the solution. But I can definitely understand your discomfort with the way the whole thing has been presented. It's not like there's a shortage of other causes. If you decide not to donate, or even if you do give, I'd consider writing a letter to the PTO expressing your uneasiness with the religiosity of the pitch.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:58 PM on Sep. 25, 2013

• Sah I just read the OP and I agree I do not see where it says anything about him going there and preaching.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:58 AM on Sep. 26, 2013

• I would be fine with not sending a donation.

You could also check with the school to see if there is anything regarding teachers soliciting families for non-school sponsored events.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 10:10 AM on Sep. 26, 2013

• There are other missions besides religions ones. You mentioned teaching. What did this person teach? While I grant that you are probably right, it sounds like you need more information before you jump to the conclusion that this definitely was a religious mission.

Honestly, I would throw the paper in the recycling and not think twice about it. I have several charities that I have researched and selected, so I don't feel like I have to give to everyone who asks. I'm sure you also have charities that you favor. This person is soliciting donations. Do what you would do when others attempt to solicit donations from you. Give or don't give. And then don't worry about it.

May-20

Answer by May-20 at 10:17 AM on Sep. 26, 2013

• Our family supports several organizations that "do good deeds" in Third World countries, none of them are faith based. When asked to donate I have no problems saying no I already support XYZ.

Is the religious flavor coming from just one staff member? with the school just ignoring the behavior? or supporting it?
    emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 11:16 AM on Sep. 26, 2013

• From what you have said it's not a mission but a charity doing this. Our schools have collected money for cancer research, when the floods/huricaines have hit, etc. One year they even supported a school in another country by collecting notebooks and pencils that one of the teachers took over when she went in the summer to help teach. If I had money and wanted to I sent it. If not then it was no big deal. They would have hat days where for .25 your child could wear a hat that day. They would end up raising $400 - $500. It may not seem like a lot but the kids feel like they're really helping someone out and that is good in this day of it's all about me mentality.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 1:09 PM on Sep. 26, 2013

• Make a donation to a Secular Humanist Charity and send a copy of the receipt to the school in lieu of a donation.

MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 5:05 PM on Sep. 26, 2013