What would you do? I posted this earlier and didnt get any responses. So I am going to post it here

I am about to be laid off in November. I have an oppurtunity to go work a gig out of town and it runs thursday through sunday for the first 3 weeks in October. I will make over $600 for 4 days. So it's good money
Now I work 40 hours a week here at my job(M-Fr) but I only bring home less than $400 a week.
I want to request off for the three days (w-f) for the first 3 weeks in October,
So I would work M-T here at my regular job then go out of town Wed-Sun to work the gig
The only thing is my manger is giving me a hard time. I don't see the big deal because all of us will be without a job by November 15th. Ihave a young child and I just want to make as money as I can before I am unemployed
I can choose to just go and call out( they will probably fire me) or I can just stay and work just one of the weeks. I am going to speak with my manager tomorrow. What should I say?
I was honest with my direct supervisor and she said she needed to talk with the manager and he said "they need me here'. I am going to speak with him myself because he need to hear it from my mouth and not from my other supervisor (she may have told him incorrectly)
What should I do? I need all the money I can get

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:23 PM on Sep. 25, 2013 in Relationships

• CM is having issues.... It might be a day or more until you get good answers.
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 10:25 PM on Sep. 25, 2013

• Do you have vacation time coming?
    Use those day for those Fridays in October.
    Are you doing a fair?
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 10:27 PM on Sep. 25, 2013

• I agree with your plans. I'd talk with the head honcho myself, too

Answer by admckenzie at 10:28 PM on Sep. 25, 2013

• Be honest and up front with your manager and tell him you really want this to work out the best for both of you, but as a single parent you are going to make the decision that's best for your family. Sounds to me like he should listen to your plan and work with you. Or else he will have to hire and train a worker for just a few days and that is not economical for the company
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 11:49 PM on Sep. 25, 2013

• Talk to the manager, but in the end, you have to do what's best for your family financially. Especially if you are going to be out of a job, those extra hundreds of dollars are worth fighting for.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:25 AM on Sep. 26, 2013

• If you have vacation time, schedule it then. But if they know about the gig, they'll still give you a hard time. You may just find the gig is all you have before the end of this month.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:30 AM on Sep. 26, 2013

• Take your own vacation time (and subtract the income from that from the income you are expecting to receive from the gig.) Also figure out if getting fired will detract from any financial package you'd receive from being laid off. It may be that the $400 a day isn't nearly that much when you consider possible losses. Also don't forget about the benefit of a good recommendation. My first inclination is to say get as much money as you can and do the gig, but there are other things to consider. Best of luck to you.

Answer by Bmat at 8:08 AM on Sep. 26, 2013

• Just curious, do you have a place to stay while working the out of town gig? If not, and you will have to pay for somewhere to sleep, then consider that as a liability against what you will make. Is it worth risking the job you have now for a few weeks of a higher paying job? Do the math and figure out what works best for you and go from there. Good luck.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:39 AM on Sep. 26, 2013

• Hey ladies,
    I should have never told my direct supervsor the truth because she went to my manager and told him and now he don't want to give me the days off. I mean we are about to get laid off anyway so I really don't see the big deal. I am only temp and I won't get abything from here once it's over. I guess I could collect unemployement until I find something but that will not be much.
    The company will be paying for my lodging out of town. I will make almost $2000 for 12 days of work. I need that money
    My manager is trying to say that they need me here but none of us are really working. They are just being assholes
    At least I was still trying to come in 2 days a week for the few weeks I was going to be traveling back and forth
    So here is what I am going to do. I will just call out and I am pretty sure they will release me but I should get unemployment.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:47 PM on Sep. 26, 2013

• If they are laying you off, how can they use the excuse that they "need you" ???
    good luck!
    AllyB_

Answer by AllyB_ at 1:39 AM on Oct. 20, 2013