Is this healthy?

My 15 year old daughter is is in cross country (first year) They teach them not to eat before they run, after they run or before they have a meet or after the meet. She has gotten sick and thrown up 2 times now during a run. She has a meet today (and just got her monthly and has a 10 mile run tomorrow. Has anyone had any running experience to tell me if this is healthy and to run this much, first day of her monthly (plus it's going to be in the upper 80's).This is her first year with cross country and I'm concerned with her health. I don't think it's going well at all. She is skipping breakfast now. This is not healthy and I fear it is crossing over into a eating disorder. I'm thinking this: As soon as her track meet tonight is done I think we should consider her done with cross country. Which means no run for the homecoming ball run (10 miles) with her period 2nd day. She is telling us we can't make her eat and we say: U r so... Right we can't make u eat & since u r pulling that card we will no longer put u in any sports . THEY NEED HEALTHY PARTICIPANTS NOT ONES STARVING THEMSELVES so they faint, throw uo etc. Which means u will be out of soccer too IF THIS CONTINUES. U r refusing r to eat and or eat healthy or take your vitamins for 5 days now. I think u threw her lunch away. yesterday. She said she was going to throw it away.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:05 AM on Sep. 26, 2013 in Diet & Fitness

• read the responses from Crafty26

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 10:19 AM on Sep. 26, 2013

• I didn't see the other question, and it does seem a little odd to me that the coaches would be restricting her food intake so much. I think it's more likely she's doing it herself. What I do know is that you're making this into a battle of wills, and that's a no-win for anybody. How about sitting down with her coach so all of you, including your daughter, can have a meeting and get on the same page? If she has an eating disorder, yanking her sports privileges may be the worst thing you can do. Trust me on this one; my sister and I both went through it. Being on the swim team is partly what saved me from the more serious complications my sister faced. The coach was a great guy; he watched what I was eating and actually threatened to not let me compete if I didn't get enough food. A coach is a very good ally to have on your side. Good luck.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:49 AM on Sep. 26, 2013

• The running isn't the issue here, so let's not blame that. When I was into running I was the healthiest I'd ever been. All my runner friends eat very healthy, balanced diets. You have to. If you don't eat well, you destroy your body and eventually cannot run anymore.

So, that means there's something going on with your dd. First, talk to the coach and find out what he/she is really telling the kids regarding eating before and after a run or meet. I used to eat light, healthy foods some time before a run, and then I'd have a good balanced healthy meal when I got home.

Second, take her to the doctor for possible eating disorder. If it's not an eating disorder, maybe the doc can at least refer you guys to a good registered dietician who can show your dd how to eat well while participating in sports.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 11:02 AM on Sep. 26, 2013

• she needs to eat simple carbs. A PB&J, bananas, bagels, pasta. Things like that. She should eat three hours before her run so it has time to digest. They are just worried that should a bathroom issue arise there isn't one readily available. NO SKIPPING BREAKFAST. That is the most important meal. I would be done with it. Then get her into therapy in case she has an eating disorder.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 11:42 AM on Sep. 26, 2013

• Advice from and anorexic here...research how lack of protein depletes the muscles and makes them weak. Her goal is to be a strong fast runner, she will surely fail if she doesn't give her muscles what they need to be strong.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:56 AM on Sep. 26, 2013

• I agree with anime. I did cross country too but to be honest, we were never told not to eat before/after/etc. We didn't eat much before for obvious reasons and ate early but in general ate a healthy diet and drank plenty of fluids. I find this odd and I'd have a chat with the coach. Get more information and then decide about pulling her from the team.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 12:05 PM on Sep. 26, 2013

• I am wondering how old the coach is. He seems to be on the more outdated philosophies.
    DSIL & DD do Tough Mudder and Warrior Dash as well as a few others. The one is 10-12 mile and hazards and the other 4-5 miles and hazards. He is a health "nut" He says that you must eat healthy and balanced before any event but try for at least two hours before. Drinking water is a major factor n staying healthy. They take a high protein bar or five with them and snack upon the way.
    Cross country is a bit different because you are in a race and obviously stopping to got to the bathroom is not the preferred choice, so coaches would tell them not to eat and to flush their system.
    I do not knowhow true it is (have to ask B) but I was always told not to eat immediately after an event because your body needs a chance to calm down. We were told a half an hour but, as I said that is old school.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:15 PM on Sep. 26, 2013

• To add to what the others said - running during her period will do her no harm whatsoever, no matter what the temperature. Exercise is GOOD at all times of the month.
    goldpandora

Answer by goldpandora at 4:12 AM on Sep. 27, 2013

• I don't agree with that all. I understand displine is needed. but is all of that worth it. I wouldn't let my daughter do that. Get her in a different sport and have her run for fun...
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 1:30 PM on Sep. 27, 2013

• I agree with all of the above post.
    rolandocolon

Answer by rolandocolon at 3:08 AM on Oct. 16, 2013