"if the gays don’t like it they can go an eat another brand"

'I would never use homosexual couples in my adverts': Barilla pasta brand faces boycott after boss's comments spark backlash

Guido Barilla, whose firm has almost half the Italian pasta market and a quarter of that in the US, told Italy’s La Zanzara radio show last night: “I would never do an advert with a homosexual family…if the gays don’t like it they can go an eat another brand. 

“For us the concept of the sacred family remains one of the fundamental values of the company.”

He added: “Everyone has the right to do what they want without disturbing those around them”. But then the pasta magnate upped the ante by attacking gay adoption. “I have no respect for adoption by gay families because this concerns a person who is not able to choose," he said.

Anyone for Creamette?

Is any publicity good publicity, or is this going to bite him in the ass?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 2:39 PM on Sep. 26, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• Not sure if it will bite them in the ass, but I don't use Barilla anyhow. I don't buy enriched pasta products if I can help it.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 2:43 PM on Sep. 26, 2013

• Yeah,time to change brands....

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:52 PM on Sep. 26, 2013

• Damn, now I have to buy a different brand. But, really, what I don't get is why all of these dumbass owners/CEO's keep spouting off such crap (like Chick Fil-a's). Don't they realize that there will be backlash?
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 2:55 PM on Sep. 26, 2013

• people like him are going to look really stupid in 20 or so years when people get over their stupidity and homosexuality becomes more widely accepted. there was a time when you could have easily changed the words to "i would never use biracial couples in my ads" and before that "i would never use women in my ads"

people are just so fucking stupid. barilla sucks anyway... mueller's! i hope this really hurts their sales.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 2:55 PM on Sep. 26, 2013

• what I don't get is why all of these dumbass owners/CEO's keep spouting off such crap (like Chick Fil-a's)

because there is a SMALL group of people who will agree and support them for standing up for what they  believe in. but i agree, just run your business and keep your political/religious views to your damn self.

tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 2:56 PM on Sep. 26, 2013

• Is that why their commercials show the women cooking?
    Or why the Lady and The Tramp inspired commercial shows a pick up at a party?
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 2:57 PM on Sep. 26, 2013

• Chik Fila and Hobby Lobby seem to be doing just fine.
    I don't normally buy his brand as dreamfields is better for my hubby and his diabetes.
    If it were on sale and I was buying for my kids or to donate, I might buy it.

I think every one is entitled to their opinion and to carry out their order of business as they chose, even if it is not the choice you or I would make.

I do not need to boycott or penalize him. Just as I hope people who are not thrilled with gay families portrayed in commercials will not boycott those simply because gays are in a commercial.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 3:01 PM on Sep. 26, 2013

• ^ it's not because they don't use gay couples in their commercials. it's their attitudes about gays and the reasons why, which nobody would have known or needed to know if he'd kept his mouth shut. now that he's decided to go public with his bigotry he deserves everything he gets.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 3:08 PM on Sep. 26, 2013

• I see this as no different then the brands that say they support it. It's their opinion which everyone is allowed to have. I buy a brand based on what I like not on what the CEO's say.they support. If that was the case I'd probably have to live strictly off the farm and even then it'd be hard because there's some brands of cattle feed, gas, etc that I don't agree with what they support.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 3:13 PM on Sep. 26, 2013

• “I have no respect for adoption by gay families because this concerns a person who is not able to choose," he said.

Yes because if I he to chose between a loving homosexual couple and my drug addict parents who I was taken away from. Then living with my abusive grandma, then passed between both my aunts, and finally being on my own by 16 I'd so want the hetero couple. Lol

Well I hope they are ready to make good on that offer I'm sure many people will boycott thier products now.
    skinnyslokita

Answer by skinnyslokita at 3:13 PM on Sep. 26, 2013