Dealing with malaware, for those who need it or want to know just in case

Do not automatically do a system restore - you will lose anything you've done since the last backup, and it's not guaranteed to solve your problem. In last night's instance, it's likely whatever the infection was only appeared when that ad was served last night, but in general, you have no idea how long a piece of code has been dormant on your system, with a delayed deployment, specifically BECAUSE you think you just have to back up and it's magically fixed.

I don't work for any of these companies, there are other options for some of them, these are my preferences that I find to be the quickest and most effective solution.  All of these options are free.  Some may offer expanded options for money, but you don't have to use those.  Some accept donations, feel free to contribute to those, because those are normal people writing useful software on their own time.

Step 1: download AVG anti-virus

Step 2: download AdAware and Malware Bytes

Step 3: download HitmanPro  (some people prefer Spybot Search and Destroy, I've had better success with this one, you can try either or both)

Step 4: Install AVG and update it, per the directions in the boxes.  Read all the boxes and UNCHECK the ones wanting to add toolbars and things to your computer - and from this moment forward, do that to every single thing you install, forever.

Step 5: Disconnect your computer from the internet and any other computers/tablets/etc in your home.  Keep it disconnected until you are done.

Step 6: Turn off any other virus scanner (McAffee, Nortons, etc).  My advice is never bother turning them back on again, either.  AVG is better and better updated.

Step 7: Run a full scan on AVG, delete any issues it finds.

Step 8: Install and run a full scan with adaware, and malware bytes, delete any issues they find.

Step 9: Install and run a full scan with Hitman/Spybot - spybot will not work with adaware running, so you'll need to turn that off first if that's your preferred scanner.  Delete any issues it finds.

Step 10: Go into your browser options, disable syncing with any other devices (tablet, phone, other computers, etc).  If you were synced, you'll need to repeat this on any other computers you own

Step 10: while in options, check all home page settings to make sure your home page was not changed.

Step 11: Delete your cookies.

Step 12: Reboot your computer

Step 13: run another scan with malware and/or AVG, depending on which type of infection you had.

Step 14: Uninstall Internet Explorer. Just No.

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 2:57 PM on Sep. 26, 2013 in About CafeMom

• I have AVG & Malware Bytes but, not ad block b/c it makes things run too slowly.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 2:59 PM on Sep. 26, 2013

• Step 14: Uninstall Internet Explorer. Just No.

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 3:00 PM on Sep. 26, 2013

• bow down

Great step by step. Thank you!

Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 3:16 PM on Sep. 26, 2013

• So understandable! Thanks
    luvmygrandgirl

Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 3:25 PM on Sep. 26, 2013

• but, not ad block b/c it makes things run too slowly.

I don't run adaware full time, only if something isn't running right. I have adblock, and I use WOT. Probably should've put that one in there too. WOT is a crowdsource web safety rating service. It's not 100% foolproof, so you should use common sense with it, too.  Wot rates every link that appears on your page before you click it.  If it has a green circle, it's safe.  If it has a yellow one, people have had issues with safety or content.  If it's red, it's been flagged as malicious.  cont'd

NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 3:41 PM on Sep. 26, 2013

• That's where the common sense comes in - for example, some groups like One Million Moms will go around red flagging any non-Christian website, so you should read the reasons for the ratings before taking a yellow or red at face value.  Where it's more useful is spotting fake sites, like if someone had registered the domain cafmom.com, and filled you up with spyware any time you mistyped cafemom.com.  WOT would warn you, just like Chrome and FF did during the bad ad issue here yesterday.
    NotPanicking

• Thanks for the info NP!
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 7:48 PM on Sep. 26, 2013

• you rock

DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 7:59 PM on Sep. 26, 2013

• Thanks NP!
    KTElite

Answer by KTElite at 10:28 PM on Sep. 26, 2013

• Commenting so that I can find this again tomorrow....have to do this for my husband's computer. I don't know what that man does but he always gets infected lol and this time i'm having trouble getting rid of it.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 10:57 PM on Sep. 26, 2013