how do i get my 5 year old to stay focused on homework?

My daughter will start her homework then half way through she starts goofing off and I tell her different things to get her to do it but it only last for one or two problems. what should i do?

Alexis_mom03

Asked by Alexis_mom03 at 4:23 PM on Sep. 26, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• take breaks
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 4:54 PM on Sep. 26, 2013

• breaks and let her play for a bit before doing homework too
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 4:58 PM on Sep. 26, 2013

• Kids need to unwind after school. Get a snack, have some play time. I also agree with breaking homework up into segments if they have a lot, or need a break. Just so they're not dragging it out too close to bedtime. Then you lose them b/c they're tired. Work on finding a balance.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 5:12 PM on Sep. 26, 2013

• Don't expect her to focus for more than about ten minutes at a time, tops, at her age. If the homework takes longer than that, let her get up and stretch. Sit with her and encourage her as she does the homework. Make sure she has a quiet place to do it, with no TV or toys at hand to distract her. Also, remember that the point is for her to grasp the material. My kindergartner tends to move around a lot and fiddle with things while she's working on her sight words or number problems. Her dad will tell her to freeze, look at him, and concentrate. I've noticed that when he does that, she's so focused on when she'll be allowed to move again, she can hardly think about what she's being asked to do. Personally, I ignore the wiggling, let her swing her feet or tap her fingers or sit with her knees stuffed inside her shirt, whatever the thing of the moment is, and ask her the math problems anyway. It seems to work better.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:25 PM on Sep. 26, 2013

• I think the bigger question is WHY DOES A 5 YEAR OLD HAVE HOMEWORK? THAT is insane.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 5:33 PM on Sep. 26, 2013

• Thanks for the advice.
    Alexis_mom03

Comment by Alexis_mom03 (original poster) at 6:42 PM on Sep. 26, 2013