My first graders been on home work for one hour now. She's nowhere near done.

And we have soccer shortly. How do parents do it with multiple kids and schedules? I only have one and she's only in one activity now. I had to pull her from scouts. It was too much.

She will be up all night. She has to write the words 31 thru 40 ten times each! Thats 100 words! Plus she has to work on her book for a test tomorrow. Plus we need to review the 100 sight words again for a test tomorrow. She's pulling her hair out, literally, so I told her to put it away for now.

She's frustrated. I'm frustrated that I don't know how to teach this to her!

Anyways, typically how many times do your kids have to write words? My BFF is a first grade teacher. She says this is busy work. 3 times is what she requires. Thoughts?

PandaGwen

Asked by PandaGwen at 5:46 PM on Sep. 26, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• This is where I insert some hilarious joke about your child's teacher being a hard ass.

My daughter is also in 1st grade. She brings home a single page of homework everyday. It's usually a color-the-numbers, or practicing writing a couple of letters. I think her homework yesterday was to draw something, then tell a number story about her picture to a family member.

Shoot, my HiCap 4th grader isn't even doing that much homework, and most if HIS stuff is 5th grade level stuff.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 5:53 PM on Sep. 26, 2013

• She's 6 not 16. Have you talked to the school about the amount of homework? Is she behind and trying to play catch up? Something REALLY seems wrong about all of this. I KNOW you've posted about her before, I'm just not in the mood to go digging it all up.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 5:59 PM on Sep. 26, 2013

• I don't understand this homework thing for young children. What the h**l is happening with our educational system? My kids used to struggle through hours of homework too. We would all get frustrated. It just seems to be getting worse.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 6:07 PM on Sep. 26, 2013

• That's excessive. And sorry hon, but you need to be "that mom". "That mom" is the mom who sees her child frustrated & struggling & speaks up. There's nothing wrong with that at all. We have to advocate for our children. No one else will. Don't let it go without a meeting with the teacher & the principal. I refuse to believe THIS much work is required to pass the 1st grade in your state.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:36 PM on Sep. 26, 2013

• Honestly, I think it's too much busy work, and I'd worry that she's going to burn out and end up hating school before she ever gets a chance to like it.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:17 PM on Sep. 26, 2013

• They are having to SPELL out the numbers between 31-40?!? Why? In most levels of writing, any number above 10 can be written numerically and be acceptable. This is ridiculous work for 1st graders. Sight words I understand. We kept a wall of words for each kid at that age. I don't understand what you mean by "work on her book for a test", though.

Regardless, the homework rule of thumb is 10-15 minutes of homework per grade level. A 1st grader should 10-15 minutes of homework per night, not hours of the stuff.

Be THAT mom if necessary. Your child cannot speak for herself yet in this situation. You know your child best, and you should know what is happening in the classroom and why homework is assigned. Ask. Ask nicely but ask. Be satisfied with the answer. You are her best advocate, and right now, she needs you.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 6:50 PM on Sep. 26, 2013

• "I haven't talked to the school. I don't want to be "that parent". "

BE THAT PARENT. They're overworking her. Better to drive the school crazy than to have your daughter decide she hates school and eventually become a pregnant teenaged dropout, right?

You are the only advocate your child has. She is being OVERworked.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:36 PM on Sep. 26, 2013

• That is beyond insane! At most they should write them 5x each and even that seems a bit much to me. You NEED to be "that parent". She is going to hate school for the rest of her life if this continues. That isn't teaching them anything but to hate reading, writing and any other learning. First graders shouldn't be forced to read an entire book EVERY SINGLE NIGHT. Yes, they need to read everyday, but 30 min a night is enough, especially on top of everything else they have to do. At this age they need to be instilling a LOVE of reading by encouraging it, not forcing it.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 7:40 PM on Sep. 26, 2013

• I would be that parent also. That is way too much.

BTW how is your Mom doing?
    DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 9:11 PM on Sep. 26, 2013

• WOW that is a ton of stuff for such young ones to take on. You absolutely need to be THAT PARENT and advocate for your child. Think about how stressful it is for you and her, what happens when you are gone to your moms. Will your husband be able to help her and work through her frustrations with her? I know moms and dads have different teaching styles etc.

luvmygrandgirl

Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 9:33 PM on Sep. 26, 2013