Barilla pasta company-no room for gays in their advertising. I wonder how many gays have purchased their product?

'I would never use homosexual couples in my adverts': Barilla pasta brand faces boycott after boss's comments spa

Gay rights groups are calling for a boycott of the world’s biggest pasta maker Barilla after the company’s chairman said he would never use homosexual couples in his advertisements.

Guido Barilla, whose firm has almost half the Italian pasta market and a quarter of that in the US, told Italy’s La Zanzara radio show last night: “I would never do an advert with a homosexual family…if the gays don’t like it they can go an eat another brand.

“For us the concept of the sacred family remains one of the fundamental values of the company.”

He added: “Everyone has the right to do what they want without disturbing those around them”. But then the pasta magnate upped the ante by attacking gay adoption. “I have no respect for adoption by gay families because this concerns a person who is not able to choose," he said.

Alessandro Zan, a gay rights campaigner and an MP in the left-wing Sel (Sinistra Ecologia Libertà) party, said: “This is another example of Italian homophobia. I’m joining the boycott of Barilla and I hope other parliamentarians do the same.”

Campaigners have urged a boycott of all 20 brands owned by the Parma-based company, which include Voiello pasta and Filiz and Misko products.

By Thursday lunchtime, the company, which promotes its products using images of young, blond-haired children and their attractive parents, sought to underline its “respect" for gays in a statement attributed to its chairman.

“I’m sorry if my comments on La Zanzara have created misunderstanding or polemic, or if I’ve offended anyone. In the interview I only wanted to underline the central role of the woman in the family," he said.

But Ivan Scalfarotto, an MP in the centre-left Democratic Party, wasn’t convinced. “It’s depressing that a businessman used to working and travelling around the world should say what Guido Barilla had said. I certainly won’t be buying his products any more.”
------------------------
Yes they are a company that can do what they want. But how do you feel about them making such statements to their consuming public?

sahmamax2

Asked by sahmamax2 at 7:32 PM on Sep. 26, 2013 in Religious Debate

• I just saw this has been posted in pc&e already. So feel free to skip:)
    sahmamax2

Comment by sahmamax2 (original poster) at 7:45 PM on Sep. 26, 2013

• I read this before I went shopping and purposely did not buy Barilla. It was on sale too! I've got no room in my pantry for that attitude.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 7:48 PM on Sep. 26, 2013

• I wonder how many gays they have already used in their advertising and didn't know it.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 8:04 PM on Sep. 26, 2013

• I know I will not support companies making public statements like that. It's one thing to give money to a company run by someone with those views if they keep those views to themselves, but once they make those views public any further support shows that you either agree with what they said or that you don't care enough about the issue for it to matter, IMO.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 8:06 PM on Sep. 26, 2013

• Personally I'd have rather they stood by the statement. I don't like it when people are wishy washy. You either believe in it or you don't. Say what you mean and don't back down. This just makes them look like they are trying to be politcally correct and insincere in their second statement at the same time.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 9:25 AM on Sep. 27, 2013

• As I said in the other Question (and other places):

I say instead of boycotting, send them a bunch of pix of LGBTQ+ couples enjoying their pasta "Lady and the Tramp" style!!!
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 5:37 PM on Sep. 27, 2013

• MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 9:03 PM on Sep. 27, 2013

• He added: “Everyone has the right to do what they want without disturbing those around them”. But then the pasta magnate upped the ante by attacking gay adoption. “I have no respect for adoption by gay families because this concerns a person who is not able to choose," he said.

umm the special thing about adoption is the child is chosen to be a part of some families life and Case workers go over the family with a fine tooth comb....

My roommates are Gay and we are currently Boycotting Barilla and Chik-fil-a
    the hatred has to stop...
    mamabeard3

Answer by mamabeard3 at 9:59 PM on Oct. 12, 2013