Disobedient kindergartner?

Got a call from my son's Kinder teacher today. She has color coded clip system.
Pink is Super student, Purple is Great job, Blue is good choice,
green is neutral/ready to learn(everyone starts here each day)
Yellow is Think about, Orange is Teacher's Choice(punishment), and Red is Parent Contact.

My son apparently wasn't follow directions, and flat out refused to complete the worksheet practicing letter Rr(which is odd as it is in his name twice so he is very proficient at it). She said there wasn't any tantrums etc..just him saying no.

She called and my husband happened to be home as well. I asked if I could talk with him...and my husband gave him a stern talking to via phone and apparently his day improved from there.

Though I see why she called(he went down to red) I also don't really see how refusing to do the work qualified as a call home, especially when she didn't want anything from me or me to do anything, besides making me aware.

So what is the system like in your kinder's class(or in the past)??

tntmom1027

Asked by tntmom1027 at 11:22 PM on Sep. 26, 2013 in General Parenting

• When my son was in kindergarten, there was a similar system. The only difference is that their was a neutral and then two levels above (good) and two levels below (bad). Did she say why his clip was moved twice?

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:28 PM on Sep. 26, 2013

• Star, green, yellow, red. I never got a call even when he was on red. They took away recess if they were on yellow or red (which I think is stupid as hell). He probably refused to do it because he knows his Rr's and thought doing another worksheet on them was stupid and boring. Not saying he was right to refuse, but I went through that with my DS the past two years. Once he knew something he was done doing anything on it.

Anyway, yeah, I think that is stupid to call you when they don't want you to do anything. A note home is sufficient.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 11:31 PM on Sep. 26, 2013

• She said because he wasn't listening to directions..kept saying no that he didn't want to do "it"...the only specific things she told me about was the worksheet. She did say that he went down to red, then back up to yellow, then down to red and that he had clipped back up to Orange and that right before leaving he had started to help pick up, meaning she probably would have put him back up to yellow had she had time(was already packed etc).

tntmom1027

Comment by tntmom1027 (original poster) at 11:31 PM on Sep. 26, 2013

• Kmath, I do think that was part of it..he has been saying that the stuff they are "learning" he already knows, which I was worried about. Because of his birthday(OCt. 27th) he missed the cut off for kinder last year and had to wait until this year... he was ready last year! lol

He went to preschool all last year as well(even though he already knew most of the academic stuff) mainly for socialization reasons. We went with kinder this year as we were to late to try and get evaluated for advanced placement to 1st grade and I wasn't too sure if he was ready socially for 1st grade(sitting still, listening etc)...especially since his preschool was a gymnastics preschool(academic plus gymnastics so lots of physical activity).
    tntmom1027

Comment by tntmom1027 (original poster) at 11:35 PM on Sep. 26, 2013

• I understand that, we went through it for K and 1st with DS. He had learned all the K stuff in the PreK he went to and I swear most of 1st was just a review of K! I think once you get past some of the lower grades it evens out a little and they won't be as bored. (Not 100% sure though since I decided to homeschool him for 2nd). The last 9 weeks of 1st was a little better as they were doing a few things he didn't already know how to do. Just keep working with him and reinforcing that bad behavior is bad behavior no matter the reason. You might also talk to his teacher about giving him other work to do.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 11:39 PM on Sep. 26, 2013

• My daughter has a similar color thing going on, like the rainbow. All of the kids start out on green, and there are two levels up from there and three levels down. My daughter has gone down to yellow a few times for talking and goofing around at her table; I'm actually surprised it hasn't been more of a problem than it is because I don't see how that teacher gets twenty-seven kids like mine to sit still and be quiet at all, let alone all day. I'm not sure why refusing to do a worksheet would put a kid all the way down to red, except maybe that one little rebel can start a mutiny. Maybe she was afraid he was going to give other students ideas about refusing to work. My daughter's teacher said at the beginning of the year that red, meaning a call home, would indicate that the parents were expected to intervene in some way.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:39 PM on Sep. 26, 2013

• I believe she is a very new teacher. The school was originally set up for mostly part time kinder and then you could pay $50 a month to do full time kinder. But they got some federal funding(as the number of students that qualified for free lunch increased) half way through the summer summer and went all full time except if you requested part time. So they had to rush to hire two more kinder teachers and a preschool teacher(previous one left to another school for kinder).

So I think some of may be her lack of experience and she is quicker to clip down then a more seasoned teacher may be. She sent home the worksheet and he had done some of it, about 1/4, then just flat out refused lol
    tntmom1027

Comment by tntmom1027 (original poster) at 11:48 PM on Sep. 26, 2013

• I've been doing more work with him at home as well, we are already reading pretty good, real slow but he is doing it(sounding out). I've been working on sight words and he does some basic addition and subtraction. I've always taught him and have considered home schooling but we had decided to try out the school first
    tntmom1027

Comment by tntmom1027 (original poster) at 11:50 PM on Sep. 26, 2013

• Could be she is new and not sure exactly how much leeway to give for each child. If so, then it might get better over the year. I would just stay in close contact with her and make sure your kid is getting what he needs and not disturbing the other kids in the process. It is so hard when they are bored at school, but working with them at home is essential as well. I wish I had pulled DS out last year and homeschooled him then, but he did have an awesome teacher and she really worked with him.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 11:56 PM on Sep. 26, 2013

• My son was in Kindergarten last year, they also use the color clip system. Green, yellow, red, black. They always called or e-mailed when he was on yellow or red just so we were aware of the problem. But when they are on black, they get sent to the principle. And depending on what the kid did, they'd either miss recess or get suspended the rest of the day. My son got sent home twice and had to skip recess a few times. Towards the end of the year, the principle threatened to have involve the police! We told them he has ADHD, and asked if he could be put in EBD classes(his dad has ADHD and was in EBD from 1st grade on). They said no, since there was only a month left of school.
    Lobelia

Answer by Lobelia at 12:05 AM on Sep. 27, 2013