This happened not too far from me...

http://rapidcityjournal.com/news/local/four-injured-in-bus-accident-in-rapid-city/article_2e1a68aa-92ef-52bc-a6b6-005822e7933e.html

The daughter of a friend of mine (who also happens to be my 6 year old's best friend) was on the bus that was hit.

What do you all think about the teen driver just getting "wreckless driving" citation? I think it was a slap on the wrist compared to what he SHOULD have gotten, putting two kids in the hospital ICU, and tramatizing an entire bus load of children!

(Yes, I know he got more than just wreckless driving, but I feel the whole expired tags is more on his parents than him, and not really a part of why this happened.)

hopeandglory53

Asked by hopeandglory53 at 2:17 PM on Sep. 27, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• Wreakless driving could be anything from texting while driving to brakes going out, another child darted out in front of them and driver swerved to miss, etc. I'd not judge until all the facts were known. There's very little stated in the article other then saying a child saw the driver speeding toward them.

There is another punishment that no judge can pass down and thats the guilt this teenager will always feel for hurting two young children. Unfortunately teens make stupid decissions and a high price is often paid for their stupidity.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 2:25 PM on Sep. 27, 2013

• We just had the third school bus vs vehicle accident in this area so far this year. First one was the first week of school, a drunk hit the bus (at 8am mind you) spun it around and into a cornfield, no serious injuries. It was a new bus with seat-belts for the kiddos the second was another drunk (at 3pm) T-boned a bus and again sent it into a cornfield, only one child sent to hospital for a check. The one that just happened I have not followed up on, so not sure of the details.

So the first two were charged with DUI/OUI, not sure of what else because the stories fell off the radar quickly.

emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 3:01 PM on Sep. 27, 2013

• Well, were the kids hit while still IN the bus? It wasn't that clear an article. Or were they outside of the bus?
    Anyway, it's a car accident and while sad, I'm not really surprised that there was just a citation. If texting, that would be a different matter. A guy in Seattle went to prison with a ten year sentence for hitting a car while texting which resulted in the death of an infant.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 4:46 PM on Sep. 27, 2013

• It kinda surprises me that they haven't released the reasoning behind why it happened (was the kid texting and driving, was he just tired from an all night cram session and just didn't notice, etc.)?
    hopeandglory53

Comment by hopeandglory53 (original poster) at 2:30 PM on Sep. 27, 2013

• I doubt if they ever will. It was a 17 year old driver and that makes them a minor. Cases with minors are usually kept fairly closed to the public.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 2:34 PM on Sep. 27, 2013

• It's scary, and it's natural to feel angry about something that is firmly out of our control. But the story really didn't give enough facts for me to make a judgment about guilt, or what should have happened.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:46 PM on Sep. 27, 2013

• Jean, the two that were sent to ICU were outside the bus waiting to get on when they got hit.

The little girl mentioned in the article, the one on the bus that ended up with whip lash, that's my friend's little girl, but she said that's not really what went down.
    hopeandglory53

Comment by hopeandglory53 (original poster) at 4:52 PM on Sep. 27, 2013