Im so proud of my son!

Today was the last day of school before the Fall break. So they had a little carnival there all day. The flyer they sent home said it costs 25¢ for face painting. That's it. They didn't say anything else cost money. So I gave my 6 year old son $1. When he came home with no face paint, I asked what he did with the money. He said he used 25¢ to go in the bouncy house. And he gave the other three quarters to three different kids who didn't bring money.
Okay now for a question....What have your kids done lately that made you proud?

Lobelia

Asked by Lobelia at 2:20 PM on Sep. 27, 2013 in General Parenting

• Such a great story, Lobelia! So nice that he gave three other kids a chance to make a choice about what to do/have. I love when they show non-attachment, or great flexibility around "having" & "giving."

I was supposed to drive for an all-school field trip yesterday but there were many absences (including two of my kids), so my daughter (age9) was able to ride in another car instead. There were a couple of vehicles mentioned for her, one car full of kids she really loves, & one with a little boy she has found really annoying for the last few years, and a 12 yo boy she doesn't know very well, kind of a loner. She ended up in that car, and I was thinking that she might be disappointed & even upset about it. At pickup time I was ready to listen to any feelings she needed to offload, but it turns out she enjoyed the ride. She & the little boy played an I spy-type game with the middle school boy. I was glad to know she stayed open!
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 4:12 PM on Sep. 27, 2013

• what a sweet heart! My daughter shares her snack with kids that don't bring anything. (I pack a lot of stuff)
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 2:32 PM on Sep. 27, 2013

• My kids look out for each other. Even though legally they're step cousins they consider themselves brothers & sister with the youngest being biracial. When she was being picked on and called a liar by some older kids (for saying the boys were her brothers when they're white & she's black) they came to her defense and said yes she was their sister and to back off her or they'd punch them in the nose. Now I don't condon fighting but I'm proud that they look out for each other. She's also told another kid to stop making fun of her brother because he wears THICK glasses or she'd "get" him.

They're always helping other kids out who are picked on. I think it comes down to them being picked on for being "different" and they don't like to see anyone else hurt for being different.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 2:33 PM on Sep. 27, 2013

• That is TOOOO sweet! What a great little guy! You should be proud :)
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:51 PM on Sep. 27, 2013

• We had an 80th birthday party for my aunt, and before we went to it, My parents, kids, DH and I went to Denny's for breakfast, my DS ordered the "Grand Slam" Grandpa said no way you are going to eat that, and sure enough he did, I was amazed, so GP gave him $1, and when we got to the party he walked up to my aunt, and said,
    I earned this, and was going to put it in my bank, because I had a bank get stolen a few days ago (true story, more on that later), but I figure if you got to be 80 years old, you should probably save it instead of me, LOL!
    She wrote him a wonderful note the next day with a story about how she is going to buy seeds with the money, and give him a sunflower.
    I was shocked, he is usually a miser.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 3:02 PM on Sep. 27, 2013

• Not that dramatic but, today my preschooler brought my sweater to me when it was time to go outside at school. I was the parent helper today and she "didn't want me to be cold." I was proud. :)
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 2:38 PM on Sep. 27, 2013

• Aww, what great kids! I went to the walking part of my daughter's walk-a-thon fundraiser today, and I was proud of her because one of her classmates tripped and fell, and she stopped to make sure the other kid was okay, which caused her to have no chance of being the first one to make sixty laps around the cones in the gym. She had wanted to be the fastest, so I thought her little sacrifice was particularly noble for a five-year-old.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:41 PM on Sep. 27, 2013