Do you let your kids do this at the park?

Eat snacks while playing? I was at the park with my kids after school today and a brother and sister where running around the play area and digging in the sand while eating hot Cheetos (horrible snack for kids but that's besides the point). I have picnics and bring snack at the park but if my kids want to eat it the need to clean their hands with sanitizer or at least a baby wipe and sit down and eat it before going to play again.. Do you let your kids run around while eating?

Cherriemama831

Asked by Cherriemama831 at 6:59 PM on Sep. 27, 2013 in Kids' Health

• I have never really thought about it.

Can you elaborate why Cheerios are so horrible?
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 7:04 PM on Sep. 27, 2013

• Cheetos!! I read that wrong!!

Agreed, sorry! LOL
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 7:08 PM on Sep. 27, 2013

• Nope, they've always had to sit down and eat while at the park.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 7:09 PM on Sep. 27, 2013

• I don't let my kid run around and eat, period, but I never thought of it from a sanitary standpoint. It's more that I don't want to encourage the habit of mobile eating, especially when it's an open environment where I might not manage to get to her soon enough if she were to choke on something.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 7:15 PM on Sep. 27, 2013

• If we're at the park, we're there to play, not snack.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 7:38 PM on Sep. 27, 2013

• No way- Not only is that unsanitary, it's asking for it when it comes to one of them choking. The only thing we ever take to the park is a water bottle.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:47 PM on Sep. 27, 2013

• We take a break. If they really want to play it's not possible to do it right while holding onto a snack. imho.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 7:51 PM on Sep. 27, 2013

• I don't let my kids run around with food and it bothers me to see other kids run around with food. Not for the dirty hand factor but for the you never know who has allergies to what factor. So I make my kids eat their snacks with me at the bench. Then when random children come and ask if they can have some I am there to say 'sorry- not this time'
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:29 PM on Sep. 27, 2013

• Nah. I have issues with choking. That is nore my focus. There is also a matter of courtesy. A little dirt never hurt anyone but others may not like to play with the ants dropped food might attract, nor enjoy stepping on a piece of food. Many little ones play in the park and a dropped cherio is no big deal until a nasty bug decides to rest inside and a baby picks it up nd eats it. I am reminded of a wasps and a piece of fruit.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 9:37 PM on Sep. 27, 2013

• no, but my issue is choking, not germs. if we bring a picnic lunch they have to sit on the blanket or at the table to eat. they can run off and come back for more, but they have to sit to eat.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:15 PM on Sep. 27, 2013