to spank or not to spank?

i don't. Some do what do you think and if some do what is okay and what is abuse? (not the law but morally ok)

amommy2a2yrold

Asked by amommy2a2yrold at 10:50 AM on Feb. 19, 2009 in General Parenting

• I will swat his butt or slap his hands- it never leaves marks- so how is that physical abuse if it doesn't leave marks? Its not because I do it to get his attention, not to HURT him
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 10:52 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Im a buster... Hands down...
    HottMamaRossx2

Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 10:55 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I spank sometimes when its the last resort, 1st its a verbal warning, then time out, if that doesn’t work then I spank but never out of anger. I get them and tell them calmly why I am spanking them and then spank them on their bare bottom. I have never left a mark, And I think if you leave a bruise it's abuse.
    candace71306

Answer by candace71306 at 10:58 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• We don't spank. I always said I never would, tried it for a while out of frustration and found it wasn't any more effective than other forms of discipline. There are definitely things that work better for me and my kids. I do not think spanking is abuse, I just don't feel comfortable striking my children as a form of discipline and think there are better ways. I don't think it's the worst way or that spanking is in and of itself abusive.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 11:18 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• We spank. It's a discipline method that fits our family and works. Some parents don't choose to and that's fine for them, but spanking is hardly abuse.
    Anonymous

• No, I don't spank. We have a blanket rule that we do not hit in this family. End of story- it goes for mom and dad too. I honestly don't know the line between spanking/abuse, which is part of why I chose to completely forego spanking. My mom probably crossed the line- spanking in a rage, slapping me across the face, spanking with a hairbrush... I have never seen spanking applied as a calm method of discipline and thus don't trust myself to spank appropriately. Plus the 'we do not hit' rule works well for us and I have never felt a need to include spanking into the repertoire.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 2:40 PM on Feb. 19, 2009