Do you let you children

say 5 and under pick what they want for Christmas or do you just buy what you want them to have?

My daughter wants to buy LO an xbox, to replace the one she took when she moved out. LO never played with it anyways.

She is 5 and has already started naming things she wants so regardless, we will go off of the list but it made me wonder,

how do you figure out gifts at Christmas for the younger kids?

luvmygrandgirl

Asked by luvmygrandgirl at 9:00 PM on Sep. 27, 2013 in Holidays

• Mine will list several things they want & will get some of them along with stuff like books & clothes.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 9:03 PM on Sep. 27, 2013

• Mine wanted everything because the other kids at preschool wanted everything. It was hard to distinguish between what he really wanted and what he was just saying. It ended up a mix of what he brought up most often and what I thought he'd like.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:12 PM on Sep. 27, 2013

• *your* damn just caught the typo
    luvmygrandgirl

Comment by luvmygrandgirl (original poster) at 9:18 PM on Sep. 27, 2013

• Some of both. Mine didn't really get into picking stuff till last Christmas when she was four, though. I did take note of things she seemd interested in from TV and the stores.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 9:27 PM on Sep. 27, 2013

• My kids and now grandkids were encouraged to write "Santa" a letter
    In this letter they told what things they had thought about their behaviors through the year and what kinds of things they might like to see under the tree. They knew early on it is a list of suggestions and most will not be under the tree.
    They also knew santa wasn't a guy in a red suit but if they didn't play there would be no special Santa gift

Before you get wound up. It isn't a lie. They were told that I know Santa and we have bee friends for years. I told them that I helped Santa every year and he listened to what I had to say.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 9:31 PM on Sep. 27, 2013

• I try to make a mental note of things they have shown an interest in but I also pick a few things on my own that I think they would enjoy but may not know about.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:38 PM on Sep. 27, 2013

• see I think that is how it shoudl be, we tell her to pick 3 big things she might like and we know what she loved and keeps an interest in (Monster High, Legos etc) so we do one of the big things fro Santa some other things that she likes and clothes, underclothes, books etc.
    luvmygrandgirl

Comment by luvmygrandgirl (original poster) at 9:42 PM on Sep. 27, 2013

• Let them give me ideas and tell Granny. She's loaded. : )
    AubreyRed

Answer by AubreyRed at 9:55 PM on Sep. 27, 2013

• My son has never really requested anything specific. We got stuff based on his interests. He's 5 now and sees stuff on TV that he's asks for so this year it might be different. So far his biggest "want" are those ridiculous Stompeez slippers.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 10:18 PM on Sep. 27, 2013

• both, we would get some that they specifically wanted and some we wanted to get them
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:22 PM on Sep. 27, 2013