What different types of birth control have you tried (other than condoms)? Which do you like, which do you have issues with?

I'm pregnant with my second child and once she's born I will need to find some type of birth control to go on. I have always done the pill and it works fine for what it's for but I makes me gain weight and feel funny.

Have any of you ladies tried any other types of birth control? What has worked well for you and what has caused you issues?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:09 PM on Sep. 27, 2013 in Health

• I've tried pills, the patch, spermicidal suppositories, condoms and finally a copper IUD. I like the IUD best because I don't have to think about it, it lasts for 10 years (as long as it stays in and I want it there) and best of all it has no hormones. There are risks and side effects to all forms of birth control. It's good to do plenty of research and discuss the forms you are interested in with your doctor.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:17 PM on Sep. 27, 2013

• Thank you QuinnMae for your input!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:18 PM on Sep. 27, 2013

• I can't stand the way condoms feel, and hormonal birth control that has estrogen in it makes me ill. It's all in what works for you. A cousin of mine had Esure, and she said it was simple and relatively painless, but that's only if you're done having babies.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 9:25 PM on Sep. 27, 2013

• Depo made me fat, condoms hurt both of us, birth control pill has worked great.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 9:29 PM on Sep. 27, 2013

• Oh, btw- breastfeeding is a great way to stop your cycle :)
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 9:30 PM on Sep. 27, 2013

• I've been on ortho tricylcen lo the last 5 years. I've seriously been considering Essure for when the time comes.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:31 PM on Sep. 27, 2013

• I was on Ortho cyclin pills for 11 years, only getting off long enough to get pregnant, have the baby then I think It was about 6mo after having the first that I got back on. Now I am on the Mirena and I like it, no pills to worry about.

I never had any kinds of side effects from either method
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 9:47 PM on Sep. 27, 2013

• I tried the NuvaRing after I had my son. It wasn't bad but I didn't like having to finger myself to put it in and take it out every time. Plus it kinda felt weird.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 10:12 PM on Sep. 27, 2013

• I have only ever used 2 forms of BC. The pill which I was always missing doses of... however it was irrelevant because I was 15 and on it for period regulation and VCF (vaginal contraceptive film) Dh and I enjoyed the freedom of the film. I could insert it and by the time we were done with foreplay we were safe to do so. No interruptions. Plus it worked. No babies while using the film for 2 years between kids.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:58 PM on Sep. 27, 2013

• Pill 7 years. Not a single issue. No acne, no weight gain, no nothing.
    Condoms. Meh:/ they do their job, but in order to do the job you need to remember to use them.
    Depo-provera shot. HELL NO. I did not crack a smile the entire time I was on it. Made me miserable.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 12:26 AM on Sep. 28, 2013