Kansas group - remove science from schools because it's a religion

Anti-evolution group sues to block Kansas school science standards
Even if you wanted to call atheism a religion, even though it's not, how would evolution be teaching atheism, when it only contradicts one fringe portion of one religion, but does not contradict the teachings of any of the other religions on the planet?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 10:13 AM on Sep. 28, 2013 in Religious Debate

• butterflyblue19

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:17 AM on Sep. 28, 2013

• Anyone who thinks evolution necessarily pre-empts science is giving God way too little credit. Who's to say He didn't design us to evolve?

"In his image" is literary license by the scribe who wrote Genesis. Since no one living has actually SEEN God, how do they KNOW? And anyway, an all-powerful Creator can make Himself look like anything He wants to. Say, like a burning bush. Or a dove.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:30 AM on Sep. 28, 2013

• ah- hell. i was typing mine while you posted this.

i find the whole thing fascinating because, when we have people here discuss how they came to their belief system or non belief not one person said, "While sitting in science class..."

But to have a survey supporting the claims would be counter intuitive because that would be science. Or the creative interpretation of numbers.

I wonder if math will be on the chopping block next.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 10:38 AM on Sep. 28, 2013

• I wonder if math will be on the chopping block next.

Well math is used a lot in science....
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 10:42 AM on Sep. 28, 2013

• Well math is used a lot in science....

I have often thought cross multiplying letters was the work of the devil.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 10:49 AM on Sep. 28, 2013

• It was because of Science that my youngest son came to the way he believes.
    I think it's ridiculous to remove science! What are we wanting, a nation of one minded simple people?
    KTElite

Answer by KTElite at 11:11 AM on Sep. 28, 2013

• Sounds like a bunch or brainwashed asses. I hope they are ignored completely.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 11:28 AM on Sep. 28, 2013

• I think it's ridiculous to remove science! What are we wanting, a nation of one minded simple people?
    KTElite
    Answer by KTElite 27 minutes ago

This is one of my fears. We are already a laughing stock in the civilized world in many ways. And, if fundies got their way, we'd go backwards 50 years.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 11:41 AM on Sep. 28, 2013

• I've never understood why parents insist on sending their kids to a public school, and the demand that the school change for them. If you don't like what the school teaches, then f-ing homeschool your kid.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 12:15 PM on Sep. 28, 2013

• "Our failure to discern a universal good does not record any lack of insight or ingenuity, but merely demonstrates that nature contains no moral messages framed in human terms. Morality is a subject for philosophers, theologians, students of the humanities, indeed for all thinking people. The answers will not be read passively from nature; they do not, and cannot, arise from the data of science. The factual state of the world does not teach us how we, with our powers for good and evil, should alter or preserve it in the most ethical manner"

Gould, S. J. (1982). "Nonmoral Nature". Natural History 91 (Feb.): 19–26.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 12:17 PM on Sep. 28, 2013