School Information.... funcitons, Dances, etc....

I know that many school districts have separate schools for elementary, Jr High and High
school, but there are a few (as in my case) that there are only 2 schools attended. Elementary and then into Jr/High School.
There really is no prep time for the change over, but what does work well around here (small town living) is that these kids (most of them) have grown up with ea other and have friends/siblings in the higher grade school.
Now the problem is, is that some of the parents are walking into this higher school blind folded, there is one intro day and that is it. There are no more notes, information sent home, no more anything, we are now dependent on our child(ren) to remember what they are told or write down notes to inform us parents. Those of us with only 1 child are the ones who are dependent on other parents for help bc some of them have been thru it before.

Case in point, "Homecoming" yep the 7th & 8th grade Jr High students are involved in this event (remember 1 school for 6 yrs).
My 12 yr old was elected 7th grade Prince for Homecoming, cool right, yea, I think so, but does information about what is expected of his roll comes home?, nope... in fact a week before (our Homecoming was mid Sept, kids given 2 weeks to prep) I had to call the school and get information. Just 3 days before we finally get information, but that is after they had a dry run of the crowning... really... 3 days... TG!!! I went on line and purchased his suit he wanted as soon as we found out he won... but to only find out that if you drove an hr to this Men's Wearhouse on the day of, you could get a free rental, not happening...

So now that the entire Homecoming event, parades, photo shoots, football game, more announcements and then dance with more pics, is done, and the knowing that he can not be chosen again until Senior yr (yay!!!) is over..
Does any of your "Tweens" have functions like this at their schools and how informed are you of them???
There are 2 more dances, Snowcoming and then Prom (Prom he is not allowed to attend)
Then you have sports events, pics (if they are in the sports) and of course the yr books.

How about other information? Does your child(ren) Jr High give it out or as we are dependent on the child to try to remember to let us know what is going on?

I think I am not going to like this Jr/High school yrs... and we have 6 of them...

gmasboy

Asked by gmasboy at 10:33 AM on Sep. 28, 2013 in Tweens (9-12)

• is any of that info on their web site?
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:43 AM on Sep. 28, 2013

• My kids middle school principal does a weekly recorded phone message that gets sent on Sunday afternoons, my son's highschool principal does the same thing. A copy of the message is placed on the schools website. In the middle school there is also an online newsletter monthly. All else fails, I call friends who have older kids for info!

Answer by missanc at 10:43 AM on Sep. 28, 2013

• Don't they have an online portal where you can check in with the school everyday?
    Ours lists activities, grades, attendance, missing assignments, dates, schedules- everything.
    Hell, I know what what is going on before my kids do.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 10:46 AM on Sep. 28, 2013

• We have the edline program and we keep track of our Jr High's grades/missing work/ class issues, but the only other thing on that web site (officially school site) is what days are 1/2, off or closed, i.e. holidays as for school calendar of events we are sent home a actually calendar, but *noted* these events are subject to change without warning or further information...
    In the elementary school the principle would make a general phone call to up coming events and reminders of other activities, we also got weekly newsletters and I had mine emailed to me so that I had an heads up before the days end of anything coming up, but in the higher school this principle believes that the students need to remember all of it including all their work etc...
    My dh says take one yr at a time...lol... I will probably be will disliked by the end of this yr...lol...
    gmasboy

Comment by gmasboy (original poster) at 11:05 AM on Sep. 28, 2013

• Everything is available online for my kids.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 11:06 AM on Sep. 28, 2013

• Why is there no PTA??? Maybe you could start one & address the issues that you are having difficulty with. Maybe volunteer to be Class Mom.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 11:26 AM on Sep. 28, 2013

• your principal is behind the times.
    universities, some businesses and most municipalities have an online calendar which includes activities.

it's not about remembering it's about having all of the necessary details to make an informed decision.
    additionally this is the 21st century, paperless is the way of the future and he is supposed to facilitate the preparation of these kids for a future outside of his little realm of control

the children need to be savvy enough to navigate the web
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 11:28 AM on Sep. 28, 2013

• They are expected to bring home the info at this age... They are growing up, not elementary any more. This is now their responsibility.
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 11:40 AM on Sep. 28, 2013

• PTA usually picks up what the school doesn't cover. We are pretty well informed of things that are going on, and in most cases if you don't know what's going on it appears as though you are not involved with your children at all (meaning that's how it would appear in our school). We probably have close to 800 students in our elementary though, so keeping parents informed is critical.

It doesn't seem like there is a concern about that at your school. I can understand wanting the kids to be more responsible for communicating with their parents, but not at the peril of parents being able and informed of expectations on their behalf and abing able to support their kids and the school. The principal may be cutting off his nose to spite his face.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:20 PM on Sep. 28, 2013

• My boys went to a similar small school situation although it was divided so elementary and middle school were together and 4 years of high school were separate. I made a rule that if they didn't remember to tell me and sprang it on me last minute, they didn't go. Helped immensely
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 12:30 PM on Sep. 28, 2013