How early is too early to potty train?

My son who is 16 months old has shown signs that he is ready for potty training. He will grab his diaper and squat so he has the feeling or the urge to pee. He's peed twice on the baby potty, but I think it was an accident type of thing. He watches my oldest who is three and tries to go when he does. The oldest was completely potty trained by 2 1/2. Should I actively start training him?

lolanbaby

Asked by lolanbaby at 10:52 AM on Feb. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yes. He sounds ready to me, why wait?
    hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 10:54 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I plan on start teaching around them... but I know that it may take a verryy long time.. but I'm going to start my son asap :) so no as long as you don't get mad and discouraged go away and start introducing it.
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 10:54 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• If their old enough to actually say "I went pee" or "I pooped" then their ready. In my opinion anything before that is too young.

It sounds like he's good with comminucation and youre very responsive so if you feel he's ready then theres no harm in beginning ;)
    SpiritedTigress

Answer by SpiritedTigress at 10:54 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• sure you can try, Its not gonna hurt him. I mean once you try it and if you feel he isnt really ready than, just stop for a while and than try it when hes a lil older.
    NicsMommy29

Answer by NicsMommy29 at 10:55 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• my first dd was 19 months by the time she was fully trained other than bed and naptime. I started at 18 months old. My 13 month old now has been potty training since 12 months old she is fully pee trained at home, but I can't get the other down so he may be ready. I think they can be ready at any age. And to me I found that the earlier you start the easier it is, but maybe that is just me. Some say it is easier when they are 2 or 3 but I thought that this baby 13 months was easier than my first 19 months.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 10:58 AM on Feb. 19, 2009