How to get milk odor out of bedding?! Help!

My DD spilt her snippy cup on her bedding a few times recently, and we found the leaky cups and threw them out. But I have washed and washed her bedding and absolutely cannot get the smell out! I can't just throw the bedding out, its her blankie (of course) and her comforter and sheet set that matches her bedroom. I really don't have the extra money to buy a whole new set right now. I tried regular detergent, soaking, vinegar, and airing it out. So far nothing has worked. Any cheap/easy DIY tips? Thanks in advance!!

MommyOfOnee

Asked by MommyOfOnee at 11:57 AM on Sep. 28, 2013 in Toddlers (1-2)

• That's weird, regular detergent in the washer on hot should have removed it. Is it soaked into the mattress? Maybe you have to buy a new mattress. If it's a plastic coated crib mattress then spray it with Windex, wipe then wash again with hot soapy water & dry.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:02 PM on Sep. 28, 2013

• Its a plastic coated mattress and I already cleaned it, and they smell right out of the washer :( I can't run it on hot, our landlord only has cold water hooked up. My detergent is cold water detergent so I had hoped it would work, but nope :( and not sure if this is how to reply to you, I've never used answers before so I have no clue what I'm doing lol
    MommyOfOnee

Comment by MommyOfOnee (original poster) at 12:07 PM on Sep. 28, 2013

• Soak the clothes overnight in laundry soap, you might want to visit the laundry mat, I am guessing the water is too cold to get rid of the smell. You might also want to run a couple of cups of bleach through the washer, the smell could be inside the machine. Do this without clothes in the washer.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 12:14 PM on Sep. 28, 2013

• Yes, this is how you reply here. I agree with 2kids2dogs2cats, I'd go to the Laundromat & use hot water. It should come right out.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:18 PM on Sep. 28, 2013

• PS, I would also be speaking to your landlord, you need to wash clothes in hot water sometimes to get rid of germs/bacteria. Is there a reason why he won't hook it up to hot water? Most likely there is some kind of turn on switch (look above the washer) that would allow hot water to come through.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 12:21 PM on Sep. 28, 2013

• You could also fill a bucket with really hot water from the sink & pour it into the water before you start it. It's got a water level sensor so it wont overflow. Then stop it before the rinse cycle 7 pour more hot water in.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:28 PM on Sep. 28, 2013

• Not 7, I meant to hit the & button.
    ILovemyPaulie

• The hot water isn't piped through to the washer, his water tank isn't large enough to do laundry in hot water, and here its totally legal and everything for him to not have hot water for the washer. Thank you for the tips about the laundrymat, I think after soaking it for a few hours in hot water and then washing It again to see If that helps. If not I guess the Laundromat is my best bet. Just sucks because the closest one is 45 minutes away :( but Thank you all for your tips!!
    MommyOfOnee

Comment by MommyOfOnee (original poster) at 12:28 PM on Sep. 28, 2013

• Thanks for the tip about putting hot water in the washer, I'll just do that! Thank you :)
    MommyOfOnee

Comment by MommyOfOnee (original poster) at 12:30 PM on Sep. 28, 2013

• Try the bleach first then, before you go to the laundry mat.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 12:31 PM on Sep. 28, 2013