How do I get tenants to pay the rent on time or get out? Rent was due on 9/15 and I still don't have it!(9/28) 2 weeks late!

I've called and texted them, and have gotten no response. I asked for the rent and late fee ASAP. I told them they need to make having a roof over their families head a priority. They've lived in my rental home for 8 months, and for the past 4 months the rent has been late.(And how do I actually collect the $50 late fee? They've been putting the late rent in my account without it.) Actually, I only got the rent after calling and reminding them it's past due. For some reason, they wanted me pick it up. I told them this is totally inconvenient. For whatever reason, they're not capable of mailing a check, so I told them to deposit it into my account. I'm tired of being jerked around by these people. Should I file for eviction? I'm sure as soon as I do the rent will appear! I have a demanding job, and fear I'll be in and out of eviction court with these people a lot. They have the income to pay!(But seem to waste their money! I'm sure they have cable and cell phones!) I'm a single working mom. I have a mortgage and can't take this stress! HELP!

I am in NJ. I thought this property would be a good investment, but it's turned into a nightmare! I got these people from a realtor. He screened them and checked references, but now I think the references were fakes. I can't imagine the previous landlord really thought they were fantastic tenants! : ( It's sad that people with children are so irresponsible!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:55 PM on Sep. 28, 2013 in Money & Work

• Follow the eviction process in your city.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:59 PM on Sep. 28, 2013

• Honestly... I would contact a property management company and sign up with them. Then they handle all of the grunt work. I have no idea what it costs, but the peace of mind would be worth it to me.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:00 PM on Sep. 28, 2013

• Wow, bitch much? You want them to pay you the late rent, puls late fees, but don't want to get off your ass to get it? They have to either mail it to you, bring it to you, or deposit it in your account FOR you.

You, my dear, should NOT be a landlord.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 2:02 PM on Sep. 28, 2013

• Did you have them sign a lease or some sort of contract saying that the rent is due on the 15th of the month. After the 15th then there will be a $10 a day late fee (or what ever late you do choose). If rent is more than 30 days behind (or whatever your state allows), then you will proceed with an eviction. 

If you don't have this, then I would meet with them and lay out what will happen. You have allowed them to be late for four months with out paying a late fee so they are going to take advantage of it. I would also go to your county's website and look under magistrate court. Most counties have a record search and you can see if they have ever been evicted and if they have been sued.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 2:03 PM on Sep. 28, 2013

• Evict then rent to a single guy who has a decent job. They don't cook or create any wear & tear on your home. They are hardly ever home. Best tenants ever!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:04 PM on Sep. 28, 2013

• I would mail them a letter reminding them when their rent is due and that if it is not paid within 5 days (along with the late fees), you will start the eviction process. Express the importance of paying their rent on time as you count on the money. Maybe ask them if changing the date that the rent is due (for a fee, of course) if that would help them. I would tell them that unless they started making their rent payments on time, they would need to find a new place to live.

Not all people with children are irresponsible. I have 3 children and pay my rent every month. I've lived in this place for 3 yrs and have only been late twice. Both were for extenuating circumstances (1 was when my grandmother died and another when basement flooded and I needed a new washer and dryer)
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 2:05 PM on Sep. 28, 2013

• Rosehawk, I may be miss interpreting this but she may mean after the rent is late, she won't come pick it up, they need to either come to her or mail the check. My dad has learned to do that. He would gladly come pick up the check on the due date or before but he had a lot of people who would call and say "hey, I have the rent, come pick it up", and then they wouldn't be there.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 2:05 PM on Sep. 28, 2013

• I would go there and tell your tenants that they have 24hrs to come up with the rent , other wise, you will
    be forced to kick them out ( NO MATTER WHAT THE EXCUSE IS ; STAND STRONGLY AND FIRM
    TO THAT ....because 2wks is 2WKS TOO LONG )

~Cyn
    cynzbryte

Answer by cynzbryte at 2:06 PM on Sep. 28, 2013

• rosehawk, seriously?!? Why should SHE have to go get the rent? My landlord doesn't pick up my rent check. I have to mail it in. When I owned my house, I had to mail in my payment. I've NEVER heard of a landlord picking up the check.
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 2:08 PM on Sep. 28, 2013

• "I would go there and tell your tenants that they have 24hrs to come up with the rent , other wise, you will
    TO THAT ....because 2wks is 2WKS TOO LONG )"

That's not really legal in most states. There is an eviction process that must be followed
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 2:10 PM on Sep. 28, 2013