Has this happened to any of your kids?

It seems that everytime we go visit my mil 3 hours away my son gets sick in some way! Either he gets nausea or won't eat much but this time he got a low grade fever and didnt eat a thing all day! Then while there he had a moment of crying then out of nowhere laughing a lot then crying again. His armpit temp was at 100.5. We're now back home & he ate ok yesterday but today ate very little. I'm not sure what to do! Anyone have similar stories or suggestions? Anything?

._Andrea_.

Asked by ._Andrea_. at 2:28 PM on Sep. 28, 2013 in Kids' Health

• Oh and the fever is gone. Hes playing like normal finally but just a little crankier than usual & not much of an appetite
    ._Andrea_.

Comment by ._Andrea_. (original poster) at 2:30 PM on Sep. 28, 2013

• IDK, does your cars ventilation system need to be checked? Is it moldy smelling? Do you smoke in the car? Does he ate anything different when you go away? Being car sick doesn't cause a fever. My Son gets nauseous on the Bus to school though. Maybe have them come visit you next time.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:33 PM on Sep. 28, 2013

• not ate, eat. Sorry
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:34 PM on Sep. 28, 2013

• Nope our car is fine we use different cars to go in but the one we used this time is our everyday truck so I know thats not it. The fever thing was really odd to me cause this has never happened before & he had no other symptoms just no appetite. And him laughing innappropriately terrified me!! He didnt want to eat for a whole day so I cant say its something he ate because he had no symptoms at least from what I could see and hes only about to be 2 but can't exactly tell me yet.
    ._Andrea_.

Comment by ._Andrea_. (original poster) at 2:56 PM on Sep. 28, 2013

• I also do not smoke
    ._Andrea_.

Comment by ._Andrea_. (original poster) at 2:58 PM on Sep. 28, 2013

• Okay, he's almost two.
    It sounds like he was feeling off, and stressed. (The crying, sudden laughing, then crying.)
    He could feel stressed simply from feeling bad/getting sick, or it could reflect tension of some kind that he's absorbing.
    What is the visit like for him, and for you? Is it stressful? What is his grandmother like with him? Are you/he relaxed or working hard to have a successful visit? Is her home a comfortable place for a little one, or a place that's hard to be because there's a lot he can't touch, etc.?
    Is the drive stressful at all for him, you, or the family?

It can be easy to miss stresses that a little one feels (even changes to routine or environment, uncertainty about what's going on, challenges around sitting still/in a carseat for long periods) and also not to realize how your own stresses are factors in a situation. We sometimes are tuned out to our own stress level but it's still there, being felt!
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 4:09 PM on Sep. 28, 2013