• In the Spotlight:

What is the easiest way to get a child to swallow a pill?

My best friends' son has ADD. Well they changed his medicine from a liquid to a pill. The kind he is taking now doesnt come in liquid form. Well she usually opens it up (she said its a capsule) & puts it in his oatmeal at breakfast. If he KNOWS she's doing it or sees her doing it, he REFUSES to take it. Well the school just called her to come get her son because he was very disruptive today. He didnt have his meds this morning. Any suggestions as to how she can trick him into taking it? He's a total hellion when he doesn't have it & she's so afraid they are going top kick him out of school.

bduckett0723

Asked by bduckett0723 at 10:53 AM on Feb. 19, 2009 in General Parenting

• oohhh makes sense. My mom use to tell me to practice with pasta shells..seems silly but there soft so your not as scared to swallow them. That's what it came down to for me, I was afraid to choke.

Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 11:12 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Practice with Mini-M&M's
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 10:54 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Why can't they just give him the liquid????
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 10:57 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Farrahann - the medicine they are giving him now is time released so one dose lasts all day. The liquid was wearing off too fast & wouldnt last him throughout the day so they changed it.
    bduckett0723

Answer by bduckett0723 at 11:00 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• That seems to be his deal too. She said he took the liquid no problem. Pasta Shells huh? Thats a great idea - I'll pass that along.
    bduckett0723

Answer by bduckett0723 at 11:13 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Sorry ...guess I didn't comprehend that sentence.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 11:13 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• It sounds like he's afraid of the effect, not the actual pill. Have someone take a sugar pill and then give him his meds. Maybe it'll show him that everything is okay?

Good luck!
    SpiritedTigress

Answer by SpiritedTigress at 11:41 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• If it's time released, then the mom should NOT be opening it up and giving it that way.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:17 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Krysta622 - thats the same thing I thought when she told me she was doing that. She said the Dr told her to do it that way, but it kinda defeats the purpose doesnt it??
    bduckett0723

Answer by bduckett0723 at 12:20 PM on Feb. 19, 2009