Advice

Hey what's the best thing to do if your new borns umbilical cord stinks? What can I put on it or should I take her to the doctor. Or leave it alone

aimem

Asked by aimem at 7:23 PM on Sep. 28, 2013 in Kids' Health

• You are to do nothing until the umbilical stump falls off. You can gently wash, with warm water, the area around the cord stump, but that's about it. NO soap though. Just gently wipe with a baby washcloth and warm water.

It NEVER hurts to give the doc a call and ask them. They're used to all kinds of questions from new parents.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 7:29 PM on Sep. 28, 2013

• So no alcohol on it either just warm water
    aimem

Comment by aimem (original poster) at 7:35 PM on Sep. 28, 2013

• Definitely no alcohol.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 7:36 PM on Sep. 28, 2013

• WHY would you put alcohol on it??? That & peroxide are two of the worst things to put on any open skin/cut/lesion, etc!!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 7:39 PM on Sep. 28, 2013

• What does it feel like to YOU when you pour rubbing alcohol on a scratch? It burns right? That's what it will do to your baby too.

No alcohol is not a good idea. It should fall off in about a week, after birth. It's not that long to wait.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 7:40 PM on Sep. 28, 2013

• God, please no alcohol on it! If it stinks, it wouldn't hurt to call your doctor. What instructions were you given for baby at discharge?
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 7:45 PM on Sep. 28, 2013

• Call your pediatrician if you are concerned.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:01 PM on Sep. 28, 2013

• Leave it alone. If the time ever comes and they want to put silver nitrate (I think that's the stuff. Silver something), just say NO. That stuff is the worst. My poor baby. I hated that.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:20 PM on Sep. 29, 2013