Meal plan for the week. Healthy or no?

M: Salad (spring mix) with carrots, radishes almond slivers and dried cherries
T: avocado grilled cheese with tomato bisque.
W: Lemon chicken with green beans and couscous
TH: BBQ pork Loin with mashed potatoes and carrots
F: spinach calzone with salad
S: Garlic Shrimp with rice pilaf and peas and carrots
S Pot Roast with potatoes, carrots and green beans.

Lunches are made from left overs and PB&J
Breakfast is corn flakes with honey or eggs and toast.

My son is getting fat according to the doctor so I am having to cut out a lot of sugar and stuff. I usually do a lot of cooking but I usually do more hamburger stuff and cheese or pasta stuff. How is this menu. Is it better than cheeseburgers and macaroni and cheese?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:49 PM on Sep. 28, 2013 in Health

• Damn! Can I eat at your house!
    Sounds delicious and healthy!
    KTElite

Answer by KTElite at 7:52 PM on Sep. 28, 2013

• That menu sounds fine.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 7:54 PM on Sep. 28, 2013

• Looks fairly healthy, but according to my doctor, carbs like potatoes turn into sugar in the body, so I'm not sure how that'll work with what you're trying to do for him. But I'd say it's a start, so go for it.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 7:54 PM on Sep. 28, 2013

• That's quite a big change from burgers and Mac. Will he eat it? How old is he?

Answer by missanc at 7:55 PM on Sep. 28, 2013

• He is 10 and he will eat it. We usually eat this kind of stuff a couple times a week but I also like to make him good kid foods like mac and burgers and fried chicken because that is what kids should eat. I hate he is only 10 and having to eat like and adult all the time.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:58 PM on Sep. 28, 2013

• good kid foods like mac and burgers and fried chicken because that is what kids should eat.

Um...where'd you get that idea? Kids should eat healthy, like adults do. They should get snacks and treats in moderation, like adults.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:01 PM on Sep. 28, 2013

• "Because that is what kids should eat" "having to eat like an adult all the time" WHAT?!?! Who says kids have to eat crap and adults have to eat adult food? Food's food, crap is crap and if kids ate "like adults" from the start maybe obesity wouldn't be such an issue and kids wouldn't be so picky and catered to!

Anyway, your dinners sound fine, but your breakfasts need improving, and you're lacking enough vegetables and I see no fruit.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:04 PM on Sep. 28, 2013

• He is not picky! He will eat anything he is given. And yes, kids should get to eat good kid foods sometimes. It is part of being a kid. He is mostly getting fat because of school I think. He started getting chubby last year when school started but slimmed down over the summer and now he is getting chubby again. His school only give 20 min of recess and they only have PE every other week. So he is on the bus, in a classroom, on a bus, then getting home at 5:30 doing home work eating dinner, shower then bed at 8. We couldn't even sign him up for the free soccer at a local church because practice was at 5pm 2 days a week and he is not even off the bus yet.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:08 PM on Sep. 28, 2013

• I would add some kind of protein to Monday's salad but otherwise sounds good.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 8:19 PM on Sep. 28, 2013

• You have to also look at his portion sizes if the Dr thinks he is overweight. You can feed your child the healthy food, but if they are still eating the portion size of an adult then it can also be a bad thing.

I think your menu sounds great.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 8:49 PM on Sep. 28, 2013