School lunch vs. bag lunch.

I see all the time on here where people say it is cheaper to pack a kids lunch vs. buy at the school. This is my thought though... Maybe I am wrong...

School lunch here is $2.00 milk, entree two sides. There are several choices from sub sandwiches to hot roasted chicken or veggie burgers. We actually have a decent lunch program. It goes above and beyond the national requirements due to private funding. Anyway. For $2.00 a day I would have to send my kids PB&J an piece of fruit and carrot sticks every day... I feel like PB&J sandwiches have a ton of sugar in them compared to what they school offers. Like they can get a better variety and maybe even slightly healthier going that way. IS there something else I should be considering?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:56 PM on Sep. 28, 2013 in Food & Drink

• Sounds like your school has a good deal going. Where I live, the school lunches are gross. The food isn't that healthy,(hamburgers, pizza, grilled cheese, chicken fingers)  and it tastes awful. I know I work there. If I forget my lunch, I have to buy it there. It's never very good.

musicmaker

Answer by musicmaker at 8:07 PM on Sep. 28, 2013

• My kids NEVER made good choices when paying for school lunches.

There's a lot you can pack besides PB&J!
    Left overs from dinner, hard boiled eggs, summer sausage, cheese and crackers with fruit.
    Yogurt, thermos of soup with crackers, tuna salad sandwiches
    KTElite

Answer by KTElite at 8:08 PM on Sep. 28, 2013

• if bread costs $2 a loaf and you can get 10 sandwiches out of it that comes to .20 a lunch
    peanut butter is $3 with about 20 generous servings so about .15

you need to calculate the cost per serving when packing a lunch
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 8:15 PM on Sep. 28, 2013

• you need to calculate the cost per serving when packing a lunch

This exactly. Not to mention, anything you serve for dinner the night before can be a lunch the next day, all you need is a short, widemouth soup thermos, preheated with boiling water before you put the reheated leftovers in it before school. Pasta, soup, casserole, chili, even roasts w/ veggies.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:40 PM on Sep. 28, 2013

• I don't care how much cheaper, or expensive it is, I will always make their lunch. The food they serve at our boys school is substandard..
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 8:41 PM on Sep. 28, 2013

• Wow! You guys have cheap prices where you are! Here a loaf of bread is $3.15 and PB is at least $4. Jam is about $4 but it last for a while I just counted our loaf it has 15 slices so 7 full sandwiches. So that is $.70 for the sandwich alone. Then a bag with about 8 carrots is $2 is $.25 each and bananas are the cheapest fruit right now at .85 a pound so about $.30 each. Then you have to buy the milk and that is another $.40 making lunch from home $1.65 eating the same thing all week. or pay a nit more for variety. Or buy a decent thermos for $20. Eh. We will stick with school lunch. I guess I cna see your point if the school lunch is gross or something. That makes perfect sense.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:06 PM on Sep. 28, 2013