@ what age did you start you're kids doing household chores???

do you pay them an allowance?

rosesrred1

Asked by rosesrred1 at 10:50 PM on Sep. 28, 2013 in General Parenting

• 3. Age appropriate of course and he didn't have a schedule. Just small tasks as needed. No allowance.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 11:08 PM on Sep. 28, 2013

• Three or four, just picking up toys and clothes and taking her dishes to the sink that kind of thing. At five, she hates that stuff but still eagerly pitches in if I ask her to dust something or wipe down the counters. I've even let her vacuum up dog hair from the linoleum kitchen floor the other day, and you would have thought she got to drive a Ferrari. No allowance yet,. Maybe when she gets older; I'm on the fence about that.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:18 PM on Sep. 28, 2013

• What sort of chores? Both of our kids pick up their toys/books every evening. They are 3 years old and 21 months old. They also toss their diapers/pull ups in the diaper pail after every change (unless it is a super nasty one, and I don't trust them to not make a mess). DD (the 3 year old), also has to make her bed. They are both expected to put their shoes away when they walk in the door (we have a basket in the bottom of the shoe closet that they toss their shoes into).
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 11:40 PM on Sep. 28, 2013

• My kids started as soon as they could follow simple directions. 15-18 months? 'Put you toys in the basket like this' or 'take this to the trash can'

they are now 5 and 9 and do several chores but they do not get allowance. They do chores because they are part of the family. When I do give them money it is because they are a part of the family. One doesn't relate to the other here.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:51 PM on Sep. 28, 2013

• I do not pay my children to be a part of our family.
    We all mess things up and we all clean them up so we all have a nice place to live and we all can enjoy the fun things.

My kids started helping from the time they toddled.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:14 AM on Sep. 29, 2013

• if putting toys away counts then around 18 mths old. As he got older then the "chores" changed. No allowance. He does get money every once in a while, and he gets to keep any change he finds while helping me clean. He doesn't really have a huge want to spend money though(he is 6) and hardly asks for anything when out an about.

tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 12:19 AM on Sep. 29, 2013

• Around 2. My kids are between 12 and 15 and they do not get allowance. I do give them spending money when they do things like mall or movies with friends on weekends but only if they are respectful all week and keep up with chores without fuss. So.....some may consider that allowance though I don't because it isn't a set amount that they get.
    harris4

Answer by harris4 at 1:53 AM on Sep. 29, 2013

• I give my kids an allowance but it is not "pay" for chores. I have made a point to make allowance a completely separate issue from behavior & chores, and it's not tied to punishment or rewards (for grades, behavior...)

Their allowance gives them money to manage: to save, to spend, to have some personal power so they aren't always stuck asking for things & so I'm not always the ones making the decisions about what is worth the cost (saying no.) They learn to evaluate & prioritize. It's also helpful not to have the allowance be leverage that I "use" to address behavior issues or to force compliance around household contribution. I'm glad that we didn't go down the road of making kids "earn" their allowance, lol! (tying it to behavior) I see now, years later, that it not only wasn't "necessary" to ensure cooperation, it helped to safeguard WILLING cooperation!

chores:
    Kids start imitating & learning household tasks as toddlers.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 7:31 AM on Sep. 29, 2013

• Also, allowance started at age 5 ($1 weekly.) At age nine, we bumped it to $3. (Huge bump!! It accrues SO much faster!)

We haven't assigned specific chores to the kids. They develop skills & mastery in many areas as they grow, so they're capable of tasks such as yard work, gardening, cleaning, dishwashing, food prep, cooking, laundry. We ask for help as needed & we honor the kids' answers (like we would honor each other's decisions as partners.) In other words, it's a true request. (You are allowed to decline a request!)
    This has ensured that cooperation is willing, not coerced. If someone is consistently "unwilling," it's a signal that something is going on with them. That's the same for feelings of entitlement--they signal something deeper. I have found that addressing the underlying issue (responding to behavioral issues in relationship-focused ways) creates the conditions that support resolution of the presenting problem.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 7:49 AM on Sep. 29, 2013

• Chores - same as above - as soon as they could do things. Now at 10 and 15, they could run the house if the need arose. Between the two of them, they can keep the living areas and bathrooms tidy, do the laundry, cook simple meals, clean up the kitchen, and tend to the pets. Their chores are age and time-appropriate. They don't do everything every week. I rotate things in and out to teach them. But they can. :)

Allowance - No. However, I'm fairly generous with the spending money for my older one and with small purchase requests for my younger one. Both have asked about getting an allowance, and when they did the math (Mom stops giving them other money), they realized they had a better deal without allowance. We still have lots of lessons about money management, just not through allowance.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 8:08 AM on Sep. 29, 2013