Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

your take on MEDICAL induction

I'm 38 weeks & my doctor has told me numerous times that the baby is WAY more than ready to come out but my cervix won't dialate, and it's causing me a lot of pain because the baby keeps pushing down and giving me irritability contractions. My doctor said a few days ago that if I don't deliver by Friday morning (tomorrow at 9:15) then at my appt. we'll pick a day for me to be induced.
Do you think I should be induced? Or wait it out and try to deal with the pain?
FYI-- I'm in so much pain every night all I can do is sit up and cry :(

Answer Question

Asked by shessohippie at 10:56 AM on Feb. 19, 2009 in Pregnancy

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (16)
  • How does he know you won't dilate unless you are in labor? I would at least wait till the due date and go from there. I think he just wants to do it for his own reasons.


    Answer by Anonymous at 10:59 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

  • some women wont dialate even with induction it can lead to csection but if it needs to be done the induction that is then it has to be done i personally woudl trust the dr if you feel you should wait then tell your dr you want to wait just a little longer to try to go on your own but i dont anything is wrong with inductions at all

    Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 11:00 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

  • I was induced because i was 2 weeks late, It doesn't harm the baby at all. If your in that much pain I would most def have them induce you.

    Answer by NicsMommy29 at 11:01 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

  • annonymous you do know that contractions like she has been discribing is considered early labor so ya she isnt dialating and mrsowen is right some women dont dialate

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:03 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

  • I had a terrible experience and will never do it again!!! I hope you go into labor natually very soon. :)

    Answer by hannahwill at 11:04 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

  • I was induced with my daughter at 38 weeks because I gained 12 pounds of water weight in 2 I think if it's needed its induction went fine. I was in labor for 10 1/2 hours and it wasn't too bad...

    Answer by Carli26 at 11:05 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

  • I was in early labor for a few weeks with no dilation. My water broke and I still wasn't dilating. So they used some pitocin and viola we were finally going to have a baby. If you are in that much pain, only you can decide what is right for you and the baby. If you want to wait then wait, if you want the induction then do it. I wish you all the luck whichever route you take.

    Answer by coala at 11:08 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

  • Drugs in the hospital do mean "medical induction," but this is not a "medical reason." It's elective and adding big risks to you & baby.

    There is no need to add risks, why go there? Your body can & will do it's job in time... There is NO scientific evidence & proof that because *you* aren't showing cervical progress *yet* that it means anything!

    If it's your first then you could still have a cople of weeks before reeaching the AVERAGE gestation, even.
    This doctor is talking about messing with nature not because of anything wrong with you, I promise. This is for the doctor's convenience.
    I have info to help if you'd like to know more about it, let me know.

    Answer by doulala at 11:11 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

  • Pitocin doesn't necessarily make you dialate, and trying to induce labor when you are not dialating is a good way to end up with a C-section. I would wait. I know the last few weeks can be very uncomfortable. Look into evening primrose oil which helps the cervix soften and dialate and talk to your doc about it.

    Answer by riotgrrl at 11:15 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

  • I didn't read all the post but if you do go for the induction make sure they give you that cervical softener the day before.

    Answer by Farrahann at 11:21 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.