Flax seed

so while searching the aisles for sesame seeds the other day, i found flax seed. i know it has a lot of health benefits so i decided to buy a package and put some in my smoothie this morning. i just didn't know how much to put, guessing about half a teaspoon maybe even a quarter of a teaspoon. but i only made an 8 oz smoothie. how much is recommended?

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 9:29 AM on Sep. 29, 2013 in Health

• It's really up to you. The important thing to remember is that it needs to be ground in order receive the full health benefits.

I usually use 1 heaping teaspoon for 8oz :)
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 9:39 AM on Sep. 29, 2013

• Agree ^^ about grinding. It's because the seeds are so small that the stomach doesn't process them so they pass straight through you without giving you any of their benefits.
    goldpandora

Answer by goldpandora at 10:06 AM on Sep. 29, 2013

• I would put a spoon full of flax seed in a quarter cup cranberry and then 2 cups of water all mixed together as sort of a cleanse. it gives ya the shiz because flax is a natural laxative so be on the lookout for that haha.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 10:12 AM on Sep. 29, 2013

• I just dump some in until I think it's a good amount lol. But I make a big smoothie (I think my smoothie cup is 20oz.) so I probably end up with about 2TBSPs in there. I actually like the texture ground flax seed gives to the smoothie so I don't mind a bit too much.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 10:13 AM on Sep. 29, 2013

• okay, just didn't know if it was possible to put too much or too little. and i hope the blender served as a grinder lol
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 10:33 AM on Sep. 29, 2013