Is it okay to put a casserole dish in the oven straight out of the freezer?

I have a ceramic casserole dish that I put in the oven. it was making some cracking noises in there. Is it okay, or should I have waited for it to thaw out a bit?

anestheticsex

Asked by anestheticsex at 8:19 PM on Sep. 29, 2013 in Food & Drink

• If you put the dish in before preheating the oven it should be fine. But, if you're hearing cracking sounds, be very careful taking it out!
    KTElite

Answer by KTElite at 8:27 PM on Sep. 29, 2013

• I am assuming you like this dish?
    Then No.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 8:52 PM on Sep. 29, 2013

• I will say though, if you heard cracking... I would be very careful taking out of the oven. Sometimes ceramic will crack and you won't know. The way to tell is to hold it by the bottom with one hand and flick the rim with your finger. If it is cracked it will make a thud sound. If it is still sound you will hear more of a ring. You can still use them if they are cracked but you have to be extra careful with them and never pick up the piece by rim, only grab them from the bottom.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:13 AM on Sep. 30, 2013

• NO!!! It will break! You have to allow some cooling first.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:24 PM on Sep. 29, 2013

• oops-I was thinking it went from the oven to the freezer. I would still let it set at room temperature for a while before putting it in a hot oven tho.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:31 PM on Sep. 29, 2013

• Anytime you do. Cold to hot, hot to cold. With glass or ceramic it is a no no.

Answer by louise2 at 8:56 PM on Sep. 29, 2013

• Pyrex tends to be bad going from freezer to oven but I've never had a problem with anything else breaking
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 9:04 PM on Sep. 29, 2013

• You're taking a risk of cracking or shattering the dish. Let it sit at room temperature at least till you don't see ice build-up on the dish anymore.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:46 PM on Sep. 29, 2013

• I am a potter!

It is fine like KTE said as long as you put it in a cool oven. Never go from oven to freezer or freezer to hot oven.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:10 AM on Sep. 30, 2013

• You took a risk, but apparently it worked out.
    But yeah, next time, leave it out to get to room temperature before baking. It also makes for more even baking
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 12:42 PM on Sep. 30, 2013