If you have an autistic child

Does your school have a buddy program, my son was asked by their school counselor to participate in the program. Basically he will be given a buddy with autism & they spend recess and other time throughout school together, it's supposed to help with social skills and such. He's super excited to be a buddy considering two of his friends are autistic anyways.

funlovinlady

Asked by funlovinlady at 7:53 AM on Sep. 30, 2013 in Special Needs

• I think that is wonderful for your son and the other child.
    I also wanted to thank you for the pork idea, it was a huge hit!
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 8:54 AM on Sep. 30, 2013

• My sons school doesn't which is disappointing. But several of the other local highschooler do. When he was in elementary they had mainstream students come in 1-2 times/week and in middle school he had a group of mainstream students he had lunch with (rather than sitting with his class which was largely non verbal). This year he's in a higher functioning class so he gets lots of social interaction in class and lots of the students know him from church and through other friends so they high five him in the hallway (which thrills me since I never thought he would have that being in a self contained classroom).

Answer by missanc at 8:11 AM on Sep. 30, 2013

• Not officially
    There are several students that went to elementary school with him last year,that look out for him/them
    This new school seems to have a policy of sink or swim that i'm not comfortable with

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:11 AM on Sep. 30, 2013

• Yep. And his buddy is our downstairs neighbor!
    saphire_eyes802

Answer by saphire_eyes802 at 8:55 AM on Sep. 30, 2013

• No they don't. Not for any of my kiddos.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:01 AM on Sep. 30, 2013

• not sure but that is awesome!
    luvmygrandgirl

Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 10:16 AM on Sep. 30, 2013