How do I paint on spice glass jars?

Does anyone know how I can paint the spice names onto glass jars that will be permanent? Thank you!

foreverb3

Asked by foreverb3 at 11:07 AM on Feb. 19, 2009 in Hobbies & Crafts

• use glass paint - I like the pens, personally, because you have alot more control. After you have painted your design, you bake it in the oven. The paint will tell you what temp and for how long to bake it. Michael's has the biggest selection- its generally in the back by the framing/painting section.

Most of these paints are permanent so there is alot of trial and error involved.

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/ps_glass/article/0,2025,DIY_14199_2272579,00.html - that is a guide from DIY network that goes into detail! One nice thing about painting clear glass is that you can place the pattern inside the container and just "trace" it onto the outside.

good luck, have fun!

LuminousMom

Answer by LuminousMom at 11:04 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• If you go to a craft store there are glass paints that if you bake them they become permenant. I hope that helped.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:10 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• acrylic paint pens would work grate for that.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:01 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• Since jars for spices don't get washed everyday I was wondering about acrylic paint. Thank all you ladies for trying to help me.
    foreverb3

Answer by foreverb3 at 3:50 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• acrylic paint is not permanent and will peel off if the surface is not roughed up enough before hand and then sealed. sorry, but its the truth. I have a BA in arts, and I have painted alot of glass. The only way to ensure it will be permanent is to use the paints I mentioned and bake it.. it takes all of 30 minutes and its a permanent solution.. but hey, lifes about trial and error.

LuminousMom

Answer by LuminousMom at 12:21 AM on Feb. 22, 2009

• If you really want to get cute you can always do mini poly clay plaques that you can write on and will bake onto glass. Its just another cute option.
    mineralgirlzmom

Answer by mineralgirlzmom at 1:02 AM on Feb. 22, 2009