Could someone give me advice on breaking my 2 yr old autistic boy from his pacy???

My child is 2 and has been diagnoised with autism. He is overly attached to the pacy. We have tried a couple of times to take it, but have been unsuccesful all times. Could someone please give me some advice or pointers??

Asked by redtang912 at 8:40 PM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son is autistic as well. I'd have to say, at two, I wouldn't worry if he is attached to his pacy. There are a complete different set of rules that apply to children with special needs. When he gets a little bit older, I would take him to a toys r us or a walmart or whatever, and explain that you want to trade his comfort item for a new one. You'll will have to talk slow and make sure he COMPLETELY understands. But I'd wait a little while. It doesn't make you a bad parent if he has it. It comforts him. It makes him happy. And that's what's important. I hope it helps.

Answer by NomadSara at 8:47 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• autistic kids have problems with change.1st step put the paci on a teddy bear .when he gets attache dto the teddybear get rid of the paci then!!!

Answer by marisab at 8:45 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I wouldn't worry about trying to "break" your son of his pacy (binki). Not only because of his autistic condition but because he is probably using his pacy/binki to self sooth.

Answer by LinaLousMama at 12:22 AM on Jun. 20, 2008