Birthday ...... budget me!

I've earmarked about $200 for my son turning 9 in a month. That is everything EVERYTHING. The game plan was home party, dinner of his choice, cake, ice cream, cards, decorations, a few small gifts, and also treats and trinkets at school on his b-day. Leftover $ not spent on those things would either go into a few more little gifts or else cash for him (Grandparents bought him tickets to see Blue Man group and I'm sure there will be cotton candy, etc there. It's about 10 days after his birthday)

He is pleading for a class party instead. He doesn't care where. Pool, bowling, etc... with Christmas looming I'm not at ALL comfortable upping my budget, especially since the Blue Man group trip will involve a lot of gas $$$, parking, and so on. thoughts, suggestions, price breakdown, WWYD, etc

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 4:04 PM on Sep. 30, 2013 in Money & Work

• That's about what I have budgeted for my sons bday, hopefully less. as of Now the plan I for the party to be at th park, but Wyoming has crazy ass weather so I don't know it might be sunny and warm, or it could be snowing
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 4:14 PM on Sep. 30, 2013

• Probably the most economical is to have the class party somewhere like a park (weather permitting) or another venue that doesn't cost anything upfront. Then transport all the family party things like decorations, cake, etc to that venue and have a combined party. You might have to make a few cupcakes to go with the regular cake, etc but it should be minimal. Then plan a bunch of games that are fun, but cheap. If you have it in the evening ish you can play flashlight tag, set out jars with glow sticks in them for decorations, etc. Bring pizza (in leiu of dinner of his choice), and the friends will bring presents so you can cut back on those... It doesn't have to be upscale. buy a bunch of string in a can for them and turn them loose!!! 9 year old boys can make their own fun.
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 4:21 PM on Sep. 30, 2013

• I learned to say, no, I am sorry, not this year.
    They do not need everything their little hearts desire to be happy.
    With grandparents permission ask son if he would rather have the class party in the park with a cake and drink and a couple of games or go to the Blue Man thing. One or the other.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 4:39 PM on Sep. 30, 2013

• The park with playground is probably cheapest, but my kids had parties at the skating rink that were fairly economical and easy. If I'm not mistaken it was under $100 for the rink for 15 kids (parents free, rink open to general public), pizza, drink and cake. Plus the space decorated in the snack bar and they announced their party over the speaker.

Answer by missanc at 4:40 PM on Sep. 30, 2013

• I would check local activities to see what the pricing is on that. We threw DS a party at a laser tag place and it was shy of $200 and that included pizza, drinks and we brought the cake.

Our rule is that we either pay for a party, or for a nice gift. If they choose the party (meaning inviting the class), then that is considered their gift from us. Or we will get them a really nice birthday gift and they can have a couple friends over and order pizza, watch movies and have a sleep over if they choose. They don't get both.

DS has been to some really cool home parties where they do something like make PVC marshmallow guns and have marshmallow battles in the back yard. They set up boxes and obsticles to hide behind. Played games like Lego building challenges and stuff. Pretty creative and on the cheap and the kids all had a great time. Got to take home their marshmallow shooters.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 5:34 PM on Sep. 30, 2013

• I don't know if you have Chick FilA where you are, or how you feel about it, but the parties there are easy and economical, and you get quite a bit for your money.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:38 PM on Sep. 30, 2013

• I'm not sure what your town is like, but when I was that age, my group of friends went to the park and played what we called "Sole Survivor." We'd split up into teams of 2-3 and hide in the trees in the late evening or dusk. We could make that game last for HOURS with flashlights or glow sticks. Ask a parent or two that you know to help chaperone. Free, aside from the cake/favors and drinks if you want...

I also had a party at the lake where my parents built a campfire and we made s'mores and hotdogs. Kids all brought a lawn chair! Great for hoodie weather, too! Cost here would be graham crackers, chocolate, and marshmallows... and drinks/favors, cake. (You can make a boxed cake yourself for under $5!)

matobe

Answer by matobe at 11:58 PM on Sep. 30, 2013