I sound so darn shallow...

I met a guy about a week ago. I really like him as a guy friend. He's honest, sweet, cool, humble, etc. He buys my son toys, takes me out, fills my gas tank up, willing to pay for a baby sitter who watch my son himself while I work, etc.

.....BUT! There's a problem. I am not attracted to him. I am totally attracted to his personality, just not him as for as looks go. He's not that handsome, and he is 14 years older than me. I am 21. His son is just 2 years younger than me. Im sort of embarrassed to be seen with him. Gosh that sounds AWFUL!! :(( Omg!!!!!! We went to a club the other night, and a girl asked me if he was my "pimp". What the heck???? She says he looks old! I felt so bad for him, and at the same time embarrassed. :(

I don't know what to do at this point. I feel like theres a slight chance that I may eventually start liking him as more than a friend.

Question is.......... Is it possible to be with someone you're not really attracted to in the physical sense?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:18 PM on Sep. 30, 2013 in Relationships

• So you take monetary compensation for spending time with him. You lead him on into thinking that there could be more but you know in your heart there isn't.
    There is a name for this and it is not nice.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 4:24 PM on Sep. 30, 2013

• D- There's a possibility that I may eventually start liking him. I just want to protect both of our hears IN CASE I do end up liking him more, but there's not physical attraction.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:28 PM on Sep. 30, 2013

• In the olden days, when I was looking for a husband, we were taught to look for the guys who loved us for who we were as persons. Today, I think far too much emphasis is placed upon the physical attraction, which will always be important, but having now been married almost 49 years, I can tell you for certain it is not the most important. My husband loves me first and foremost for the person I am, and I am very thankful for that!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 4:33 PM on Sep. 30, 2013

• You met him a week ago? Seriously?
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 4:35 PM on Sep. 30, 2013

• I personally wouldn't want to be dating a person with whom I shared no passion. Sounds awful! And if he's spending that kind of money after a week? I think there's something wrong.

Answer by missanc at 4:44 PM on Sep. 30, 2013

• Stop using him & let him know you like his friendship & that's it. Don't lead him on & don't take any gifts, money, etc. It's not fair to him at all.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 4:51 PM on Sep. 30, 2013

• a week ago!
    you are 21 and he is 14 years older

could he be acting this way because he wants a piece of young ass?

buying your child toys and he knows you A WEEK

any guy can be nice for A WEEK

all very creepy

fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 5:21 PM on Sep. 30, 2013

• all this after a week? I don't know, maybe try to take it a bit slower and don't let him buy gifts yet...see what happens. He sounds a bit...needy or overbearing?
    ******

I mean mine was a nice guy that I wasn't really attracted to and now, we've been together almost 22 yrs so...there's that- *but niether of us had kids yet and he wasn't really buying me a lot of stuff (other than drinks when we were out)
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 5:47 PM on Sep. 30, 2013

• Why would you allow someone who you just met around your child, this is headed for disaster! You need to not accept anything from him, and don't allow your son to be around him!
    You realize that hauling men in and out of his life is NOT a good thing correct?
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 6:00 PM on Sep. 30, 2013

• I would be wary of someone who wanted to pay for that much stuff of mine after only a week, whether I was attracted to him or not.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:04 PM on Sep. 30, 2013