Halloween costumes at school...

It seems silly to me.. but my daughter's school has a rule on Halloween costumes: No Scary or Bloody Costumes.

Seems like a big part of Halloween to me... my daughter has always picked something on the scary side.. zombie bride, Chucky, witch. It doesn't seem very fair, or in the theme of the holiday.

Do your children's schools have this same rule?

anestheticsex

Asked by anestheticsex at 7:16 PM on Sep. 30, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Same rule here.
    We usually do something easy like a farmer, or cowboy for school, then let the guts and blood begin!
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 7:20 PM on Sep. 30, 2013

• She's lucky... the school I work in has a NO Halloween costume rule!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 7:55 PM on Sep. 30, 2013

• Ours has a no costume rule. Personally I don't want my elementary age kid seeing blood and gore, others may not want their kid to see fairies or other cartoon characters so I like it this way.

Answer by missanc at 7:32 PM on Sep. 30, 2013

• Yes, and it makes complete sense to me. There's nothing fun about scaring a 5 year old.

Another rule they have in place are no masks, and the costume has to be able to be worn under their clothing before the class party.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 7:40 PM on Sep. 30, 2013

• Yeah every school my children have ever attended (5 between them) has been NO costumes.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:56 PM on Sep. 30, 2013

• I think I'd take it...most schools don't even let them wear costumes at all anymore :/
    LAME

*but I can see why they would have a rule against bloody or scary
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 8:49 PM on Sep. 30, 2013

• Yep, same rule here. And no masks or weapons.

While I know that some kids have two costumes - one school-approved and one for trick-or-treating - I don't mind this rule. My kids have never dressed as anything scary or bloody or creepy before. It's just not how we deal with Halloween. The weapons rule - that I *completely* understand and have never questioned aloud - gives me pause. This year, my son wants to be Thor. An integral part of Thor is his Hammer. But, we leave the hammer, sword, wand, whatever at home for school.

They'll be too big soon enough. Let them dress up at school, even with the "no creepy" clause.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 9:40 PM on Sep. 30, 2013

• My daughter's pre-K had that rule last year, but I didn't think it would apply for older kids.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 9:43 PM on Sep. 30, 2013

• Yes and it is a reasonable rule IMO
    Your child may like it but it may terrify other children. Dressing up is not allowed in many schools be happy for the fun she can have.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:21 PM on Sep. 30, 2013

• No, we don't have that rule. They are allowed to put on costumes at the end of the day if they want to and I guess it's really up to parental discretion. Most of the kids go from school to the local village Halloween parade so they wear their actual costumes, but it would be possible to do a simpler costume at school if the one for trick-or-treating is too elaborate to mess with at school.
    The school doesn't censor anything or get preemptive in that way with rules around Halloween costumes.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 12:22 PM on Oct. 1, 2013