I need a gift idea for a Hindu baby. The wife of a Hindu co-worker of my husband just had their first daughter after three sons.

The co-worker thinks the world of my husband and our family. The baby has been showered with tons of gifts from their family back in India -- they had to rent a lock box for all the gold. When we were given a picture of the newborn I said to the husband that I wanted to bring her a gift. He said no, that she had plenty gifts already. But he wants all of us to come by to meet the baby, and I am not going to go empty handed. So what would be a nice welcoming gift to take with me? Can I also bring something for the mother? Would a bouquet of flowers for mom be appreciated or would that be lame? The father thinks the world of this baby because he really, really wanted a girl. Is there something traditional or culturally significant that could bring, or am I safe with some nice clothing or a little bracelet?

helmswondermom

Asked by helmswondermom at 7:20 PM on Sep. 30, 2013 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think flowers and an outfit for the baby would be really nice.
    I would buy something for when she is a bit older, very pink and very frilly.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 7:25 PM on Sep. 30, 2013

• Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 7:26 PM on Sep. 30, 2013

• All babies deserve to be welcomed. It sounds as if the extended family has the religious side of the welcome covered, so I don't think that a secular gift would be offensive. And I agree that a very girl-y frilly baby/toddler dress (with bloomers!) would be perfect. Honestly, if anyone I knew had a girl after three boys, that's exactly what I would buy.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 9:33 PM on Sep. 30, 2013

• Maybe an "Our Baby Girl" photo album with lace and ribbons.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 9:49 PM on Sep. 30, 2013

• Thank you everyone! Love the idea of the photo album, along with a frilly outfit and flowers for mom. I guess I just needed some reassurance that it would be enough. Thank you!
    helmswondermom

Comment by helmswondermom (original poster) at 10:23 AM on Oct. 1, 2013

• Something practical...like onsies, diapers, burp towels, etc.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 5:17 PM on Oct. 1, 2013