Would you date a close friend's brother?

so a friend ive known since we were 14 is trying to set me up with her brother. she says we both deserve to have good people in our lives. he has a son and i have 3 kids. im divorced and he was never married to the mother of his child, they broke up about a year ago. we've known eachother just as long as ive known the friend (about 13 years now) and we've been texting eachother a lot lately. the only concern i have is what if it does get serious and then it doesn't work out? i dont want to jeopardize my friendship with my friend.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:21 PM on Sep. 30, 2013 in Relationships

• I did,lol
    He's now my husband

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:22 PM on Sep. 30, 2013

• I would be hesitant, for the exact reason you mention - concern over what happens if we break up, whether it would jeopardize my friendship.

However, as butterfly mentions, sometimes it does work. You've known him long enough - you should have some idea of whether it would work. Is he the kind of guy you date? Does he have major flaws that would be deal breakers for you? Are you the kind of woman he typically dates? Do you both want the same things - marriage, kids, where to live, whatever? And most important: Is their family the type that if you did break up, she wouldn't feel forced to choose between you and her brother?
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:12 PM on Sep. 30, 2013

• I don't think so. Known him for that long and didn't think of dating him before this? I would pass. Wouldn't want to loose a friend of her brother.

Answer by louise2 at 8:15 PM on Sep. 30, 2013

• You are grown ups, surely your friend realizes that you may date and it be a disaster or a good thing. If she were to be upset that it didn't work then that is on her. As adutls I think youshould be able to get past that. So yeah, I probably would
    luvmygrandgirl

Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 8:35 PM on Sep. 30, 2013

• I would, if you are interested. Surely your friend must know there are no guarantees.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 9:37 PM on Sep. 30, 2013

• Maybe
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 9:44 PM on Sep. 30, 2013

• I had sex with my best friend's little brother when she caught us she yelled at me for 4 hours.. At the time he was 18 and I was 22. It's not worth it. He wanted more but I just couldn't. I felt so dirty cause I've known him since he was 2 and he's like a little brother. My friend forgave me for doing things with him only because we've been friends since 1st grade.
    CEWarsop

Answer by CEWarsop at 11:09 PM on Sep. 30, 2013

• You know what your friendship will withstand and what it means to you.
    I personally would go for it if that was what I was interested in doing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:19 PM on Sep. 30, 2013

• Date him for 6 months without having sex, you will know in that amount of time, if he and you are a good fit.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 11:39 AM on Oct. 1, 2013